In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Left handed Mod. 70

Winchester nutWinchester nut Member Posts: 6 ✭✭
edited October 2006 in Ask the Experts
Can anyone tell me if Win. made the Mod 70 in a left handed .308 Winchester? Where can I find a listing of left handed calibers. Im only interested in Controlled rnd feed. I think this limits me to 1997 to 2006. Both myself and my son are leftys so im trying to get an idea of what was made. I dont like the new wsm or wssm calibers.

Comments

• Options
    Winchester nutWinchester nut Member Posts: 6 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    After reading how everybody is saying the newer win 70s are cheap, What is my better choice for me and my son? Remington? Ruger? Whats the best left handed action out there right now?
  • Options
    Old FoolOld Fool Member Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The model 70 was available in left handed, .308 from 1946 thru 1963. Howver it is very rare and would cost $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$. The newer ones are out of production and quality was (to be nice) spotty. The Ruger M-77 is a nice rifle, very accurate, and available in a vast array of configurations. Of course they are controlled feed with a solid bole.

Good Luck
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Winchester nut,

I don't share the lower opinions of the Winchester actions such as the other posters offer. They became no different from most of the other mass produced actions and rifles, most of which needed attention by a good riflesmith before they could be pronounced "good". This is function of manufacturing and the proverbial 'bottom line' that the management gets caught up in. Yes, they do need to make a profit but their models were flawed in my opinion.

Left-hand folks are at a definite disadvantage when it comes to firearms selection and availability. I think the situation is vastly improved today though as opposed to the past. Many of us have friends who were forced to learn to be a "righty" because of the lack of true left-hand firearms.

If you can't find what you want in a real Winchester, the next best option is to switch brands in hopes of getting something that will fulfill your wants.

A few Options:

Mauser- standard reply, but difficult to find in left-hand and then they are expensive. Less expensive versions were being imported up to January but Remington stepped in an screwed that up at least for the lefties.

Montana Rifleman M1999- This company started out making barrels and then developed an action based on the pre-'64 Winchester/Mauser. They usually stock some actions in left-hand. They can assemble a complete rifle for you or you can buy components to be assembled by your gunsmith.
    www.montanarifleman.com

CZ-USA makes some very nice rifles in the controlled round feed design. These are still in an affordable range I think.
    www.cz-usa.com

Sako/Tikka while not a true CRF design is a very dependable rifle design that has a variety for the left-hand shooter.

I am not a Ruger supporter but they do have the concept and the left-hand actions that you need. The rifles are available virtually everywhere and actions can be gotten through Brownells although I can't swear to lefties being in their catalog.

www.brownells.com

I'll keep thinking and I'll post any other leads that I come up with.

Best.
  • Options
    BHAVINBHAVIN Member Posts: 3,490 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am a lefty and I use Remington 700's I have never had a problem not having the controlled feed. I prefer them over Win 70's, Rugers and Savages. I have had much better performance (accuracy wise) with the 700's, their quality of fit and finish is very good.