In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

+P in a S&W 637?

callktulucallktulu Member Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭
edited October 2006 in Ask the Experts
I am confused about whether or not to use +P in my Smith & Wesson model 637. I'm talking about for self-defesne, not target shooting.

Whenever I read an article about .38 Specials in a gun magainze, the author always recommends using a +P load for snub noses. Usually it's Corbon's 110-grain +P hollow-point.

However, I've spoken to two local gunsmiths, and they always say "HELL NO!" don't ever use +P in a J-frame because it wears out the gun. "I've seen too manhy J-frames come through here for repair b/c the owner shot +P through it" is what they say.

So what's correct? Fire a few rounds through the gun at the range, just to get a feel for them, and then keep them in there for self defense rounds only? Or just go without them all together, despite recommendations of "experts" in the gun magazines as
the best" load for velocity and expansion?

Comments

• Options
    PC800PC800 Member Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A few +Ps for practice and then carrying them for self defense will not hurt the gun at all. I have done this for years in various J frames, including the airwieghts.
  • Options
    11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    C&P from the S&W website: When you need a lightweight carry revolver, you turn to Smith & Wesson's Small Frame Airweight Series. They are the original aluminum, small frame revolvers chambered in .38 S&W Special +P.

They are available in three distinct hammer styles ? the "Chiefs Special" with exposed hammer, the "Centennial" frame with fully enclosed hammer and the "Bodyguard" frame (.38 S&W Special +P only) shrouded hammer. Three styles with one idea...perfect personal protection (End C&P)

I would not feed ANY alloy frame revolver a steady diet of hot loads- but an occasional cylinder of +P's should not hurt your 637.
  • Options
    fastcarsgofastfastcarsgofast Member Posts: 7,179
    edited November -1
    11b6r hit it right on the head. It's like eating big macs. A steady diet will blow up your frame but one or two every once in a whlie won't hurt. LOL.
    And you should give the Speer gold dot in .38+p some consideration. It's really a nice round specificaly designed for short barrell revovlers.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Great, thanks for all the quick answers thus far!

So y'all recommend them for defense loads then? Full mushrooming and all that? Those same gunsmiths told me the +P load is too strong, and will go through my target (human body) rather than expanding.
  • Options
    Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,416 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1
    Yep, shoot them on occasion in my wife's model 36.
  • Options
    Dak To 68Dak To 68 Member Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I fired five rounds of +P in a Chiefs Special and ended up with a bulged forcing cone. I believe S&W rates their revolvers +P if it's OK to use that ammo. Any who have been using +P may want to look at the forcing cone.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Dak, what's a bulged forcing cone? Sorry, I'm not familiar with that term.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    The forcing cone is located at the back of the barrel of a revolver. Swing the cylinder out, look at the rear of the barrel, and you will see it. It's function is to guide the bullet into the barrel itself. In revolvers the bullet has to jump a very small distance before it enters the barrel. The forcing cone is there in case the timing/regulation (same thing) is not exact. Like I said, five rounds of +P in a Chiefs Special put a noticeable bulge in the cone, so I don't think a steady diet of +P is a good idea in this gun. I still use it, but with standard .38 Special loads, and have not had any further bulge.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Ah, I see, thanks. I don't know about the Chief's special, but I know my Model 637 says it's rated for +P. I don't plan on doing a lot of +P shooting, though, so I guess it's OK.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    If S&W rates it for +P you're fine.
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    637-2 is rated for +P.

I've put a few boxes of +P though mine, no issues.

Supposedly, these newer alloy guns have been "torture tested" with thousands of rounds of +P and they keep ticking just fine:

http://www.sightm1911.com/lib/review/Model_60-15.htm
    quote:Dick Metcalfe did a 5000 round torture test on a couple of Airweights using +p feed and neither gun suffered any damage or distortion of the frame.

Smith and Wesson apparently has done the same, extensively testing this with .38+P and they keep working.

Remember, +P is really *NOT* all that much more powerful than regular .38s. SAAMI specs on .38 special rate up to 17,000 CUP. .38+P ammo rates up to 20,000 PSI.

Compare to .357 magnum and 9mm luger which each rate to 35,000 CUP, which is nearly DOUBLE the pressure of standard .38s.