In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Curious about this cartridge

RobinRobin Member Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 2006 in Ask the Experts
My brother brought a cartridge by for me to identify and I don't have a clue. It appears to be some sort of rimfire shot cartridge with an overall length of approximately 1 3/8". The diameter at the base is approximately 3/8" and diameter of the first portion (app 3/8") of the cartridge is slightly larger that the rest of the cartridge. The business end of the cartridge has a yellow cardboard plug with an "8" crimped in place. I am guessing it means #8 shot? In the center of the base there is a logo of sorts that resembles the letters D,L and F overlapping each other.
Does anyone know what type of firearm this would be used in? It is the largest rim fire shot type shell I have ever seen.

Comments

• Options
    captkirk3@dslextreme.comcaptkirk3@dslextreme.com Member Posts: 3,804
    edited November -1
    Contact 'ICONOCLAST' Moderator of the WANTED Forum....He most likely can help You out with your question.....
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It appears from your description, to be a 9mm rimfire shotshell. To the best of my knowledge, the only currently manufacturered, that is avaiable in the States is made by Fiocchi in Italy. The marking on the base of the shell might be their initials or monogram.

80+ years ago, Winchester made a shotgun for the 9mm rimfire shotshell. They were made in very small numbers and are a valuable collectors item nowadays. Most of the currently available firearms chambered for the 9mm rimfire that are commonly found in the States, are generic Floberts that were brought back as souvenirs after W W II.
  • Options
    Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Brass cased 9mm "Flobert" Shot (probably a "double charge" as that is the most common size). IIRC that headstamp is Fiocchi's.

They are also available in a convential brass base w/ paper tube construction. Single, double and triple charge sizes are available.

Yours is the brass version of the one 2nd from the right, the others are a 6mm, 7mm, 9mm single charge, 9mm double charge, 410 2 1/2"
    Picture_129.jpg
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the information. My brother got the shell from one of his co-workers. Now I learn the co-worker also has quite a few old guns that came along with various ammo. I think I better find out what he inherited. Maybe he has one of those old Winchester's?
  • Options
    Old FoolOld Fool Member Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    And his phone number is_________???[:)]
  • Options
    heavyironheavyiron Member Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hi,

These rimfire shotshells were made in both England and Europe including Spain for the most part. I believe Fiochii still loads some of these in Italy. Winchester also made a little single shot shotgun called the Model 36 from 1920 to 1927 and I believe these used shells that were 1-9/16 inch long as mentioned by Rufe-snow. Winchester also loaded a 20 caliber shotshell called the "Wingo" in the 1970's,

The "double charge" that Tailgunner mentioned refers to a "double charge" of shot, not the powder charge. These shells were loaded in both shot and conical or lead ball loadings.

I did not completely understand your description of the shell and I am guessing that it is an all metal shell? They were also made in a huge variety of paper cases with colors including white, red, blue and multicolored checkers (see below). Some of the headstamps in my collection are: E (Eley, England),Acorn symbol (RWS, Germany), G(Gevolet, France), MGM, (Marcel Guapillat, France), GF,(Giulio Fiocchi, Italy), and W (Winchester).

They were made in 5.6mm, 7mm, and 9mm bore sizes.

The attached photo from my collection illustrates the classic Flobert shotshell in 7mm diameter with "dust" sized shot and flanked by a .22 short and .22LR to give some idea as to its size.

DCP_02551.jpg

If you can post a photo of your shotshell, I would like to look at what you have.

Regards,

Heavyiron
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Heavyiron,
    Yes, the shell I have is all brass. The only "paper" is a crimped plug at the end of the shell. That is where an "8" is located. I assume that is the shot size. Thanks