In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Colt Ace or not?

RandyMRandyM Member Posts: 22 ✭✭
edited October 2006 in Ask the Experts
I recently won auction 57515503, Colt Ace, but the frame serial number does not start with "SM" I am wondering if it is a 45 or 38 super frame with a conversion unit on it?
The serial number 39629B70 shows to be a 1979 production.
Anyone?
Thanks, Randy
rsm127810@ev1.net

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Colt made a run of second generation "Colt Aces" during the 70's/80's time frame. It's conceivable that the pistol you won came from the factory as a Ace. I don't know if the frame/serial number had any distinct characteristics to, identify the pistol as being a factory Ace?
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,369 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There are fair numbers of those 1970s ACEs with G.M. serial numbers. I have one that I bought new with a 70B serial number, so listed on the box label along with Caliber .22LR.

There are also fair numbers of .45s with SM serial numbers.

Apparently the assemblers were not on speaking terms with the guy stamping serial numbers and the frames were just used for whatever was on order, either way. So your gun is likely original, but not rare.