In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

GLOCK 18

DoctorLoomisDoctorLoomis Member Posts: 6 ✭✭
edited October 2006 in Ask the Experts
Can i legally purchase this gun anywhere? I would like to add it to my collection, and it seems as it is illeagal due to its automatic firing capabilities.

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    paperwork and permits aside, what kind of ballpark price including taxes would i be looking at to get one of these imported to ohio?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Is it at all possible for a regular everyday citizen to own a Glock 18? If so by what means?
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    According this this source, there are a few privately owned (presumeably legally) Glock 18s in the USA:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GLOCK_18

So presumeably if the owner of one ever decided to sell it you could buy it (for an astronomical price, no doubt), with the appropriate paperwork, if you lived in a full-auto friendly state.

Edit

Here's a much easier, cheaper, (and yes. . .legal) way to get a similar effect, though you may not find it quite as satisfying:

http://www.tokyohobby.net/display_news.php?news_id=15
  • Options
    ClarentaviousClarentavious Member Posts: 800 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What's the obsession with glocks? I have this fear that at some point in the near future, the only handgun brand in existance will be glock.

Follow the sheep to the slaughter, follow the maniac off the bridge, dress like eminem because he's "cool". For christ sake, doesn't anyone around here have any originality? I wonder how many people claim they love glocks so much without having ever fired one.

I personally don't believe some of the "reliability" test that people have taken pictures of. I've shot glocks before, but I won't buy one because I don't like them. But buying one just to hop on the band wagon? Sheesh...
  • Options
    fastcarsgofastfastcarsgofast Member Posts: 7,179
    edited November -1
    Glocks are fantasticly reliable. Love the one I'm issued but I'm going to agree with Clarentavious and not spend my hard earned money on one when there are so many wonderful and reliable handguns out there. Remember variety is the spice of life. As far as the Glock 18 goes I believe they weren't produced until after 1986 and would not be legal for civilian ownership. But I've been wrong before.
  • Options
    vicg1vicg1 Member Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Clarentavious
    What's the obsession with glocks? I have this fear that at some point in the near future, the only handgun brand in existance will be glock.

Follow the sheep to the slaughter, follow the maniac off the bridge, dress like eminem because he's "cool". For christ sake, doesn't anyone around here have any originality? I wonder how many people claim they love glocks so much without having ever fired one.

I personally don't believe some of the "reliability" test that people have taken pictures of. I've shot glocks before, but I won't buy one because I don't like them. But buying one just to hop on the band wagon? Sheesh...

Who said anything about buying one just to hop on the bandwagon??? The original poster asked about the 18. I have one, and a few others. i think Glocks are great and use one in competitions. I have many other guns, many that I think are as good as the Glock but I prefer the Glock myself... actually, reading your response to this inquiry makes it seem like you have some sort of obsession with bashing Glocks...

Back to the topic, the 18 is a curiosity, fun to shoot with a stock installed, but in my opinion useless when compared to subguns.
  • Options
    tsavo303tsavo303 Member Posts: 8,903 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yea, all those tests are made up.
    Exactly, people only own them b/c they are popular like eminem.
    It has nothing to do with reliability, speed and durability.
    the 1/2 of IPSC shooters, federal agents and such shoot them b/c they are trendy.
    shows what you know

Anyway, back to the point, you could buy one or convert any glock to select fire, if you did it as an LE sample or such. one of the dept here issues the to the guy on point (he can shoot one handed with mirror in the other)

• Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by tsavo303
    Yea, all those tests are made up.
    Exactly, people only own them b/c they are popular like eminem.
    It has nothing to do with reliability, speed and durability.
    the 1/2 of IPSC shooters, federal agents and such shoot them b/c they are trendy.
    shows what you know

Anyway, back to the point, you could buy one or convert any glock to select fire, if you did it as an LE sample or such. one of the dept here issues the to the guy on point (he can shoot one handed with mirror in the other)

I have shot a 18 and it was a hoot. Faster than a Mac. But personally I will pass on any Glock. Not my fancy.
  • Options
    Laredo LeftyLaredo Lefty Member Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A little off the original question on the Glock 18, but nobody is telling people who dont like Glocks to buy one. If you dont like them, then by all means dont own one.

Everyone I know who has Glocks has them because they like them and shoot them well, not because they want to be stylish or follow the crowd.

Some people like Dodge, some Chevy, some Ford, its largely a matter of taste. Glocks are excellent guns and are popular for that reason. I have 10 of them. I use them in competition and for work.

Glocks are duty weapons for an awful lot of police agencies. I doubt the agencies were trying to be stylish or follow the crowd when they adopted them.

The bottom line, if you dont like Glocks then dont buy one, but dont bash the people who do.
  • Options
    PATBUZZARDPATBUZZARD Member Posts: 3,556
    edited November -1
    I hate my glock. It is ugly, and unupgradable\personalizable. I endure much harassment and insults from my friends for daring to shoot a "Block." That being said, I shoot it more than anything else. It has never failed to fire, never jammed, and always shoots where I aim it. You can't go wrong with one.
  • Options
    tsavo303tsavo303 Member Posts: 8,903 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    why does it need to be upgraded. they make em pretty good in the first place.
    as to adding personal pieces of flair, wear some zany buttons.[:D]