In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

.35 Remington vs .35 Whelen

Sig220_Ruger77Sig220_Ruger77 Member Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭
edited October 2006 in Ask the Experts
Hey all,

I have a question pertaining the two calibers mentioned above in a Remington Model 7600. The reason I am limited to these two calibers is because this gun is for my girlfriend who has hunted all her life with pump action shotguns or rifles and insists on sticking to them. I am looking at the larger calibers because this would be a big game gun for her to use and prefer the heavier .35 caliber bullets over the .30 caliber bullets(30-06). I have no experience with either caliber, but am guessing by looking at load data and pressures, that the 35 remington is a little more forgiving recoil wise. It also is in a carbine style with the shorter 18.5" barrel and for these reasons I am leaning towards the .35 remington. What are your guys' take on the choices and recoil of these two calibers? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Options
    tsavo303tsavo303 Member Posts: 8,903 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    what animals, ranges are you hunting?
  • Options
    RCrosbyRCrosby Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Jon,
    Will you be reloading, or factory ammo only? Obviously the Whelan will do everything the smaller round will do, and then some. This includes recoil which would, objectively speaking, be significantly greater with the larger round. Assuming similar stock design that should hold true. On the other hand, if a custom fit stock is an option, things could look a bit different. I have a .375 Sako that is more comfortable for me to shoot than a 700 BDL in .30-06. One fits me, the other doesn't.
    Game hunted? Deer only, under 200 yards, I'd be comfortable with the .35 Remington. Throw moose, elk or bear into the equation, or stretch the ranges, and I'd say go with the Whelen, assuming it can be comfortably trained with. Good luck.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Big game(elk, moose, black bear, caribou, occasionally whitetail). Range would be 0-50 yards and I would not be putting any glass on it, at least at first anyways.
  • Options
    RCrosbyRCrosby Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Considering the range, I'd go with a premium bullet in the smaller round. You should get some interesting comments and I'm sure not all will agree.
    Enjoy!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks RCrosby, that was my line of thinking as well. Would still appreciate some more opinions guys. Also, for those wondering I use both factory ammo and reloads depending on what meets my criteria.
  • Options
    DEG305DEG305 Member Posts: 469 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    .35Rem. 200gr leverevolution ammo by Hornady, Awesome shock power and recoil that a Lady can handle! .35 whelen, BRUTE force and RECOIL thats BRUTE force!!![:D]
  • Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,976 ******
    edited November -1
    I've got both and both work well, .35 rem in a marlin carbine and 2-.35w's in bolt guns. 50 yrds & under it will not make much difference to the animal. but for something that might bite ME I'd go with the whelen
  • Options
    temblortemblor Member Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Muzzle blast and noise is not pleasant in those short carbine length bbls. Add the recoil of a 35 Caliber and it's not a good combination for her IMHO. I'd go with the std. length bbl no matter what cartridge FWIW.
    At those short ranges either will work, but neither is any better than the 30.06 with heavy bullets and if you get a longer shot it will shoot flatter and would be more versitile. Just my .02 cents
    Good Luck whatever you do................
  • Options
    SCorversSCorvers Member Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a 760 Carbine in '06. It does have a "noticable" recoil. Depends on what kinda woman you are talking about.
    I mounted a Williams peep sight on mine and love it. It's as if the rifle was made for it.
  • Options
    7.62x397.62x39 Member Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    How about a .308...minimum recoil and plenty of power