In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

M-1 Carbine - Universal, Hialeah, Florida

GraybuzzardGraybuzzard Member Posts: 29 ✭✭
edited October 2006 in Ask the Experts
My Carbine has a problem with the front sight. For rounds to hit anywhere close to center of target, the windage adjustment must be cranked all the way to the right. The rear sight is also, right of center, in the dovetail. The front sight appears to be a spline, friction fit with a set screw. One person I asked about this problem informed me that the carbine needed to be re-indexed. What is re-indexing? Can a local gunsmith do a proper job of the re-indexing? Or should I send the rifle out to an outfit like, Fulton Arms or Springfield Armory for the work?

Comments

• Options
    dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't know about re-indexing, but can't the rear sight body be drifted a bit & then you don't need to be dialed all the way to the right?
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,879 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Indexing is when you turn the barrel in the receiver so that the front sight recess is top-dead-center; sometimes you will see indexing marks on the barrel & receiver where they should line up. But, if it's THAT much out of alignment & it doesn't appear that the front sight is twisted, you have a bigger problem.

But, it doesn't make much sense to pay a quality gunsmith $200 to repair a $250 rifle.

Neal
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Hello sounds like a bent barrel[xx(][xx(][xx(][xx(] I agree does not sound like an index problem to me If the barrel was not close to the correct index it would not function the bolt.
  • Options
    Old FoolOld Fool Member Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If both sights are "all the way to the right" then you need to center both of them and start over. If the front sight needs to be to the right, the rear sight should go to the left.
  • Options
    Bill DeShivsBill DeShivs Member Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Loosen the setscrew, and straighten the front sight.
    Bill