In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Colt 45 Government Model

aagaardaagaard Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
edited October 2006 in Ask the Experts
Hi:
My I have a Colt 45 government model on the slide it has:
COLTS PT. F.A MFG. CO HARTFORD CONN. USA
on the other side it has:
Government Model COLT Automatic Caliber .45
On the frame it has:
Essex Arms Corp.
Island Pond. VT.
It has wooden stocks.
The blue is very good.
It has an US military holster made in 1942 with metals hooks.
Anyone knows when was it manufatured?
and What is it worth today?
Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    Hi:
    My I have a Colt 45 government model on the slide it has:
    COLTS PT. F.A MFG. CO HARTFORD CONN. USA
    on the other side it has:
    Government Model COLT Automatic Caliber .45
    On the frame it has:
    Essex Arms Corp.
    Island Pond. VT.
    It has wooden stocks.
    The blue is very good.
    It has an US military holster made in 1942 with metals hooks.
    Anyone knows when was it manufatured?
    and What is it worth today?
    Thanks.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Does anyone have any idea of the age or value of a Colt 45 Government Model? The Serial No. is 269XXX-C, and I bought it in May of 1968. I've been told that it has been accurized by Giles.

Any information would be appreciated!

Colt_45_Government_Model.jpg
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    DOM, is 1954 according to my reference. If you could document that Giles "WAS" the smith that accurized it, you would be a lot better off value wise. Don't know at this late date, if their is any way to access the records? But it would be worth it to you, if you could substantiate it.
  • Options
    Old FoolOld Fool Member Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Your Colt was manufactured in 1954*. The Blue Book puts a 90% pistol at $745, but they are usually low on Colts. The custom work will not add to, and in fact may detract from, its value. If you can document that the work was performed by Giles then the price could be $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$[:D]

* R.L. Wilson
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    I concur 1954 But I don't think It was worked on by John Giles . Imho John would have never installed MICRO sights on one of his pistols I think you will find the small micro stamped on your rear sight. John had a pat. on what was called Wagon Wheel sights most of them on a one piece rib but he also put his rear sight even on a BALL gun. They would have separate sights like yours pictured. He also put a small plug in the slide on the left side you shoud be able to see looking in the ejection port and even on the outside left side behind the letter "L" on the big word COLT. If you email me with a return email address I will send some pictures of a number of Giles guns. Now as far as value A pristine stock pistol is a wanted item but most custom guns will be of less value unless it WAS built by a noted pistol-smith like Jim Clark , John Giles, Bob Chow , or Shocky to name a few of the old masters."PRAISE THE HARD-BALL GUN"
  • Options
    p0838p0838 Member Posts: 248 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Speaking of Government Models
    Here's a 1951

GUNColtGovtPre70R.jpg

GunColtGovtPre70L.jpg