In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

springfield 03 question

MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,779 ✭✭✭✭
edited October 2006 in Ask the Experts
I took an 03 springfield in on trade last week and got to thinking I weenied myself. The serial number is above the 3 million range and it is stamped Natl Ord. My main concern is what range the "brittle" action fell into. I thought it was much lower than this but can't find my reference material. (I have 2 females living in my house so some of my reading material gets sidetracked). Anyway, thought you guys might know some background on this rifle. Thanks Mobuck

Comments

• Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,879 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    National Ordinance rifles used a (poor quality) commercial receiver & surplus USGI parts. I believe they date to the early 1960's. Not dangerous, but not worth very much today.

Neal
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,779 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm going to screw a 2 groove takeoff barrel on it and keep it in the tractor cab so actual $ value is no big deal. Thanks
  • Options
    Dak To 68Dak To 68 Member Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have one of these, back in the 70's I took it as payment on a $50 loan I made to a guy I worked with. It was crudely "sporterized" but has a very good bore. I used to shoot it quite a bit, and it shoots well. They're not worth much, but would be fine for your purpose.
  • Options
    riderrider Member Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I found a paragraph in some of my stuff that states:
    quote:Low serial number original Springfield rifles (less than No. 800,000 from Springfield Armory, or less than No. 285,507 from Rock Island Arsenal) have brittle receivers. Likewise, many post-World War II assembled rifles were made from spare parts and have cast receivers. The receivers are marked as private manufacture from "Golden State Arms" or "National Ordnance".

All high serial number U.S. arsenal M1903 series rifles and all World War II production rifles in the M1903-A3 configuration were manufactured using modern heat treating techniques which resulted in significantly safer receivers.

Hope this helps.....

rider