In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Need shipping advice

SSD0321SSD0321 Member Posts: 73 ✭✭
edited October 2006 in Ask the Experts
Can anyone tell me what the "rule" "law" is on shipping firearms? I have a C&R and would like to have a few firearms shipped cross country to me but the seller is not an FFL or C&R holder, can he still ship those firearm? And can a private seller ship to a type 1 FFL in order to do a transfer? Any help would d be appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've been told that as a C&R you need to document when, where, and who you get a firearm from. Some dealers (probably the ones who've been shafted) don't like to receive firearms from nondealers. It's not good to get a hot gun in inventory.
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It depends. Upon...classification of firearm (C&R or otherwise), type of firearm (pistol or rifle), & location (city, state & county where you live).

Yes, a nonlicensee can ship a firearm to a Type 01 licensee anywhere in the country.

All C&R's are sent a copy of Firearms Curios or Relics List (ATF P5300.11); you need to read it.

Neal
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I know that the firearms are in deed C&R eligible but I am uncertain as to if the privet seller can ship them to me. The seller and I were stationed in California together but I am now on the east cost and don't want him to experience any drama should he mail them to me. I just pulled the ATF reference books out and it is an overwhelming amount of information, but I have not come across stipulations for a non licensee.
  • Options
    duckhunterduckhunter Member Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Call your local BATFE office and get your facts from them. Don't need a mistake.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Good counsel hunter
  • Options
    11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    IF the arms are C&Rs, and you are not in a highly restrictive state (CA, NJ, etc) he should be able to ship them to you. Long guns CAN go to you by mail. Handguns will need to go by UPS or FedX Air. Per ATF and US Mail regs, only a dealer (01) or manufacturer can mail a handgun. They will need to be shipped from a hub, not the local "UPS" store. It may be simpler for him to take them to a local dealer, and have dealer ship them for him. You will need to add them to your bound volume, of course. You can google the mail regs at usps.com, and the BATF regs at atf.gov
  • Options
    Old FoolOld Fool Member Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    As long as a firearm qualifies as a C&R (either on the list or greater than 50 years old) it can be mailed to an 03 licensee. I receive hand guns in the mail on a regular basis. It may be easier to ship it via UPS, FEDEX, etc. See section478.31 on page 43 of your Federal Firearms Regulations Reference Guide. Your friend would NOT have to notify the carrier that a firearm was enclosed.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Due to the overwhelming amount of information on shipping firearms in ATF, USPS, UPS, & Fedex publications, I strongly recommend that you throw away your C&R & receive guns only from a local dealer. (Another reason is the incorrect advice given on this forum; a C&R CANNOT ship or receive a handgun via USPS.)

Violation of federal firearms laws is a felony; even a minor mistake can result in arrest & prosecution.

Neal

"Arrest now, litigate later." --- ATF motto
  • Options
    DokeyDokey Member Posts: 941 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I was thinking about shipping a rifle to VA to get it reblued and wanted to know if it had to go through a FFL transaction and was told by the gunsmith in VA that as long as it was being shipped for repair it could be shipped back and forth directly. I was also told the same thing at a local range that did some FFL transactions for me and is very knowledgable in these matters. The key word is "REPAIR" I live in NY
  • Options
    edited November -1
    You were told correctly.

You can ship a long gun by USPS, UPS, or Fedex. The key word in this case is "rifle".

Neal
  • Options
    Old FoolOld Fool Member Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Neal, C&R holders definately CAN ship firearms via USPS as long as it is a C&R eligable firearm, it does not matter if it is a long gun of a hand gun. I do it routinely. Please e-mail me for the complete citations from Federal laws/regulations.
  • Options
    CS8161CS8161 Member Posts: 13,595 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The only problem with calling BATF with a question is that if you ask the same question to 10 BATF agents, you will probably receive 10 different responses!
  • Options
    RECREC Member Posts: 57 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Given the potential penalties if you are wrong, my advise would be to read (wade through) the regulations carefully until you understand what you are doing is legal, or go to a licensed dealer and let them take care of it. If you choose to read the regs. here are a couple of sites that will help get you started:

ATF Firearms Division Main Page:
    http://www.atf.treas.gov/firearms/index.htm

ATF Compilation of the various state laws:
    http://www.atf.treas.gov/firearms/statelaws/22edition.htm