In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

CZ52 Questions ???

abcguns2abcguns2 Member Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 2006 in Ask the Experts
O.K. , we have sold several of these , seem good and a good buy (except ammo is pricey) , got one (back) in on trade the other day ?
Looks good , shoots good , anything to look out for ??? and known problems , quirks ect.ect.???
Opinions on these (Im thinking of keeping this one)?????????
Thanks !!!
d.a.stearns
Gunsmith / LEO
Niota , Tn

Comments

• Options
    PJPJ Member Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Several quirks-
    Brittle firing pin
    Faulty decocker

Overall a fun gun to shoot. Check Makarov.com for complete info.
    Pete
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    I find them uncomfortable to shoot; not from recoil, from ergonomics. The long cartridge means a long slide travel. The grips are too wide lengthwise. The natural point of aim is rather downhill. Plus mine, despite having replaced the barrel with a shiny new one, is inaccurate as sin. Fun? Sure, but if I had to do it over again I'd probably go for something else.
  • Options
    Old FoolOld Fool Member Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have encountered several of these with cracked frames, usually in the area of the upper magazine well. With these you "gets what you pays for". [:)]
  • Options
    1KYDSTR1KYDSTR Member Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That cracked frame issue is likely caused by the Czech M48 cartridege which is SIGNIFICANTLY hotter, although dimentionally identical to the Soviet 7.62 x 25. From what I understand, the pressure level is up to 30% higher than the Tokarev round. This obviously made for some strange ammo supply logistics in the Former Eastern bloc countries. Once the Sovits threw enough of a hissy over the whole issue, the Czechs rearsenaled the guns with lighter recoil springs etc..., and some of those were reissued before the Czechs had a chance to gahter up all the M48 they had lying about in various arsenals and supply depots. Couple that with the fact the rounds are dimentionally identical and the M48 still working the pistol seemingly normally, and you have a recipe for cracked frames and later disaster. Having said that, a model 52 in good operating condition is a hoot, and I really like them for the large grips. I have big hands with long fingers, and MY aim point with the gun is pretty good. It is a ton of fun to punch holes in abandoned cars with these provided you have a good piece of solid cover to partially hide behind...they HAVE been known to ricochet.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Are the hotter loads for a machine gun?
    Pete
  • Options
    dtknowlesdtknowles Member Posts: 810 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yes, you need to check the firing pin and the decocker and the firing pin block. Stock parts are fine even if the firing pin is brittle, just don't dry fire or drop the hammer using the decocker if the firing pin block and/or the intercept notch are dodgy. Markov.com is a great resource. Trigger can be improved without disabling the firing pin block.

Ammo is no more expensive than .40 S&W or .45 ACP. Mine was inaccurate with stock ammo because the bore was .311 not .308. I went to .311 dia bullets and groups tightened up nicely. 60 gr. Gold Dot hollow points come out the barrel at close to 2000 fps :-) I don't know if they will hold together and penetrate anything bigger than a Jackrabbit. I also have had a lot of fun with sabots and 45 grain JSP and 60 grain cast bullets. The gun seems to point fine in my hand. I liked my enough to get another one in 9mm.

Tim
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I have a 9mm barrel for mine. Works fine.
    Pete