In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

"Sendero-like" Rifle

SlimWalletSlimWallet Member Posts: 12 ✭✭
edited October 2006 in Ask the Experts
Gents,

Thanks for the previous info....

Looking for a 300-400 yard capability for elk....not too much kick

Looks like I have choice between a Remington Sendero in 300 Win Mag or finding a Winchester Coyote (not lite) 300 WSM with a laminated stock and heavier barrel.

I would like to keep the recoil down and am looking for a rifle that weighs 8-9 pounds w/o the scope etc.

Anyone have a comment on Winchester Coyote 300 WSM accuracy?

Thanks,

Slim

Comments

• Options
    Old FoolOld Fool Member Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Remington is a better quality rifle, post 64 Winnies were pretty bad.
  • Options
    temblortemblor Member Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The W.Coyote quality and accuracy was hit and miss. Some of the early ones were even rebarreled by Win. due to the poor accuracy.
    Some shoot well and some don't.
    The Sendero is a much better gun and known for accuracy but is a little heavy to carry while walking steep mountains if you'll be doing much of that.
    I'd recommend a qualiy sporter weight rifle. You don't need a heavy bbl gun for a shot or two at game while hunting.
    Good luck whatever you decide [^].
  • Options
    fivefivesixfivefivesix Member Posts: 342 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm the owner of two Sendero rifles, one in .308 and the other in 7mm Remington Magnum, and I'd have to second temblor's comment on weight. If you're going to be hiking around all day these Sendero's are going to be a chore to carry. I'd look in to something like a Tikka lite. A friend of mine has a Tikka T3 in 300 Win. mag with a Limbsaver recoil pad and the recoil is nothing, plus the gun is light as a feather so carrying it all day would not be bad. He also shoots 1/2" groups at 200 yards with just plain old ammo, and even smaller groups with higher grade ammo, so they are very accurate guns. Good luck with your searching and I hope you find a rifle that will serve you well in your coming hunts.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Gents,

Thanks for the comments.....

Regarding the weight... I have very light weight 7-08 and an A-Bolt 30.06 to carry when I'm hoofing it. I also have access to some private land with a 60 acre park, a shaded draw and a treed hillside.....all within a max distance of about 400 yards from three different "stands". Closest shot would be about 100 yards above the draw and up to 400 yards with the park and hillside. Could use the 30.06 but got the itch to do something different.

I think I'll go get that 300 Win Mag Sendero

Thanks very much.

Slim
  • Options
    remington nutremington nut Member Posts: 961 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    good choice slim... i have a sendero and a sendero sf II might have to get another just cuz...
  • Options
    dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It sounds like weight is not much of a consideration here. Let me just suggest a Savage 12BVSS. I have one in 300 WSM. It is by no means what I'd consider a hunting rifle - I think mine hits 12 lbs easy - but it is very accurate.
  • Options
    D1D1 Member Posts: 11,412
    edited November -1
    Why don't you try the Browning Eclipse with the midweight barrel and the wide fore-end stock that reminds us if benchrest guns. .300 WSM with that stock and barrel and a Limbsaver, you probably won't even know you fired it.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Hey... good suggestions on the Savage and the Browning....
    I'll see if I can find some to look at.....

The Sendero is stil there at gander Mtn...

Loks like I have some choices.

Thqanks,

Slim
  • Options
    iwannausernameiwannausername Member Posts: 7,131
    edited November -1
    Browning BAR with the BOSS system on it. Autoloader reduces recoil, BOSS makes it a tack driver.