In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

MOSSAD PISTOL???

BUICK1939BUICK1939 Member Posts: 108 ✭✭
edited October 2006 in Ask the Experts
WENT TO A LOCAL GUNSHOP AND FOUND A WEIRD PISTOL FOR SALE. IT LOOKED LIKE A EAA TANFOGLIO COMPACT PISTOL BUT ON THE SLIDE WERE THE MARKINGS WITH THE WORD "MOSSAD" WITH THE STAR OF DAVID NEXT TO IT. THE DEALER SAID HE PLACED AN ORDER TO SOME SUPPLIER FOR A BATCH OF USED GUNS AND THAT ONE PLUS A SMITH & WESSON 5907 WERE SAID TO HAVE BELONGED TO THE MOSSAD. I WAS WONDERING IF THERE'S ANY REAL VALUE TO THIS TYPE OF FIREARM WITH THESE MARKINGS AND ALL.

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    More then likely, somebodys idea of a practical joke. Silenced, sterile, Beretta Model 70, would be a lot more realistic.
  • Options
    ClarentaviousClarentavious Member Posts: 800 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Depends what "Mossad" the pistol is referring to. This name can be spelled different ways.

If it were referring to Massad Ayoob, they didn't spell his name correctly. I don't think he ever signed on to have a series of guns released with his name engraved though. He has had knives done like this though (I believe the company Blackhawk released one for him - the Razorback edge or something...) If these are older used guns, I think he's a little young for that type of thing - being that he was in law enforcement for some time before starting LFI (he wouldn't have the notoriety for signature pistols in his earlier career)

If you are saying "The Mossad" Are you talking about the now deceased, former leader of the Northern Rebel Alliance? He was a military strategist who fought the taliban, but he was assassinated in 2001. But again, probably not the type of person to have signature pistols. He's not well known in the worldwide firearms community, and most people in the areas around Afghanistan don't have the technology or interest for signature pistols.

I'm sure there are other "Mossads" out there. Not sure about the star of david - that's usually a jewish thing. If you want to buy it anyhow, the best thing to do would be to have it appraised by someone like the folks over at Blue Book. And maybe contact EAA and Tanfoglio and ask them if they ever did signature pistols for "The Mossad"

It could be valuable if it was once owned by someone like Mossad as a personal gun - but you'd have to authenticate that. Otherwise the marking is probably something a "fan" of Mossad did.

BTW... next time you post, don't do it in all caps. It's rude and hard for other people to read.
  • Options
    Wehrmacht_45Wehrmacht_45 Member Posts: 3,377
    edited November -1
    These were/are being sold by CDNN. They are made by teh company you mention and are marked accordingly MOSSAD with the six point stary. CDNN was selling them for 299 bucks
  • Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,241 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    They might be Mossad pistols, but I have a hard time imagining that the Mossad would inscribe them in such a way.
    I will bet the Mossad uses the most untraceable pistols on planet Earth.
    The inscription was probably added by someone in attempt to drive up the value.
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    To be clear, the Mossad is the Israeli foreign intelligence service, their equivalent of the American CIA.

The parts of these guns are made by Tanfoglio in Italy. The gun is basically another CA-75 clone, like the Witness or the Israeli "Baby Eagle". CDNN has these for sale. Certainly not a bad gun, but nothing particularly special about these (as opposed to the other CZ_75 clones of the same make).

I'd bet money the Mossad label is pure marketing hype. I'd also bet that not only are the Mossad not issued these pistols, but that they have zero to do with them. (As a side thing, I actually doubt the Mossad has a standard issue gun, but I do know that most of the covert military/police groups in Israel carry Glocks, mainly because they are light and reliable).

Instead this is probably an effort to cash in on one of Israel's valuable "brands" (ie the notoriety of the Mossad).

The same prinicple (cashing in on the known brand name) is why the exact same guns have been marketed under so many names in the USA: Baby Eagle, Baby Desert Eagle, and Uzi Eagle. . .those are the brand names Americans know, and they capitalize on the brand names of the much more well known (and completely unrelated) Magnum Desert Eagle pistol and Uzi submachine gun. In Israel they call this gun the "Jericho" and its issued to domestic police as a standard service pistol.

Bottom line, gun itself is a pretty good pistol, probably worth around $300 with some amusement value, but collector value is probably minimal.