In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

K98 in 30-06???

JesseLeeJesseLee Member Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭✭
edited October 2006 in Ask the Experts
I purchased a K98 about 5 years ago from a police auction and for the first time took it to the range the other day. This entire time that I have had it I thought that it was 8mm. However, I found out that a 8mm rd would not allow the bolt to close. I was very disappointed, thinking that I purchased a rifle that had some major problems. Well I took it up stairs (at the range) to their gun smith to get his opinion. He stated that (after some measurements)it was chamberd for 30-06. Now I did not know that the K98 was ever chambered for 30-06. Can some one give me some insight to this and/or history (if known). What would something like this be worth? etc. Thanks

Comments

• Options
    7.62x397.62x39 Member Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Most likley re-chambered when I got shipped to america
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    It may be in 8mm-06, that is the chamber reamed out so regular 06 could be used if neck expanded and an 8mm bullet replacing the .30 bullet. Or it may have been rebarreled. I think the Norwegians also rebarreled some to 06. Slug the bore and see what the diameter is.
  • Options
    Dak To 68Dak To 68 Member Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It could be a rebarrel, or it very well could be .30-06 from the factory, as quite a few were built in that chambering for South America. I have seen several built for Paraguay by FN in .30-06. As Jonk said, the Norwegians rebarreled K98s in that chambering also. Is it a German military K98? If so it has to be a rebarrel as they were all 8mm. I believe any K98 in .30-06 from the factory would have that stamped in a prominent place on the reciever. Any reason not to believe the gunsmith? As for what it's worth, much more info would be needed, as there are LOTS of different K98s.
  • Options
    richbugrichbug Member Posts: 3,650
    edited November -1
    the Israelis converted many to 308, I think a chamber cast is in order.
  • Options
    rmillrmill Member Posts: 595 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yeah, I have buddy that has one in that 8MM-'06. Left to him by his grampa with no real 'info' on the gun and grampa had headed for the high country. He was getting ready to shoot a few 30-06's in it one day and I just happened to stop him before there was any nastiness (thanks to my brother who always seems to know every dang thing in the world about 'mousers').
  • Options
    captkirk3@dslextreme.comcaptkirk3@dslextreme.com Member Posts: 3,804
    edited November -1
    "Dak To 68"... hit the nail on the head....!Peru was another South American Country that used the 30-06 Caliber....These Guns were ordered from Mauser in that specific Caliber.....Best.....
  • Options
    Dak To 68Dak To 68 Member Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Gun Broker #59030312 is a Mauser in .30-06 made by FN for Colombia. If in doubt, follow richbugs advice, it's a simple process.
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    JesseLee,

What are the markings on it? that may give a better clue as to whether or not it was an original factory chamber. Also a description of the barrel if you can.

If this were an 8mm-06 the 8mm mauser would have chambered. Fortunately for you it didn't. This sounds like your gunsmith said it is a 30-06. Had it been a .308 the bolt would still be about 1/4" back from where it would chamber. But it's best to know why or better yet what exactly you've got. Id the markings and if still in doubt do a chamber cast.