In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Marlin 783 barrel to receiver question

jbw1776jbw1776 Member Posts: 3,056
edited October 2006 in Ask the Experts
I have a Marlin 783 that the barrel is pinned in the receiver crooked. Not indexed properly, leaning to one side, if that makes sense. When looking down the top of the receiver the sights are tilted to the left quite a bit. It's not that the sights are put on at an angle, the whole barrel is pinned in the receiver at an angle. The block on the bottom of the barrel that the stock attaches to is at the same angle.

Now, I knocked the pin out to try and rotate the barrel back to center, but had no luck. I really got on it hard. Now I'm wondering if the barrel and receiver is splined or if it just presses in and the pin holds it in place? There is NO slack in the pin hole (solid hole all the way around) and looks like it was put on crooked at the factory. No signs of previous tampering.

I have no problem fixing it after I get the barrel/receiver lined back up, but just need to know if I need to knock the barrel off (splined) or if I can rotate it in the receiver.

I appreciate the help.

Ben

Comments

• Options
    bama55bama55 Member Posts: 6,389 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ben,

Pics in GunParts catalog show splined. I did replace a barrel on a Model 25 one time, it was splined also.

Is the extractor cut off also?

-
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bama55
    Ben,

Pics in GunParts catalog show splined. I did replace a barrel on a Model 25 one time, it was splined also.

Is the extractor cut off also?

-

Thanks bama, Yes the extractor cut is off too. Like I said the barrel is cut perfectly, just installed off a little. Now that I know it's splined, I'd say its off 2-3 splines to the left. Far enough to see it instantly but not off far enough to where the extractor won't still go in the cut.

How did you remove the barrel from your 25? I'm not seeing a good place to place a wooden block and tap it off from. Any tricks you remember?[8D]

Thanks for the help!

Ben
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Hello Could you remove bolt and then mount receiver in PADDED vice and with a brass drift tap the barrel out ???
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by perry shooter
    Hello Could you remove bolt and then mount receiver in PADDED vice and with a brass drift tap the barrel out ???

Sometimes my mind goes, I should have thought of that.[B)]

PS. The Sport-King "Lightweight" came in last week. Couldn't be more happy with it. Super tight and unbelievably accurate. It has a real nice feel to it also. I'm sure this won't be the last one I own. Thanks again PS.

Ben
  • Options
    bama55bama55 Member Posts: 6,389 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ben,

That was a long time ago. I believe I did like perry shooter said.
    Put receiver in padded vice, used a long brass rod and lightly tapped the barrel loose, then pulled it out.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bama55
    Ben,

That was a long time ago. I believe I did like perry shooter said.
    Put receiver in padded vice, used a long brass rod and lightly tapped the barrel loose, then pulled it out.

Yeah, I just got it off. It was a little tight but finally broke free. After looking real closely at the receiver, I think now that the gun has been reblued, which I'm guessing that at some point someone did some work on it and just pinned the barrel crooked.[B)] Can't imagine anyone doing that, but I'm pretty sure it didn't leave Marlin that way. Thanks for the help guys.[8D]

Ben