In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

pricing on 44 mag anaconda

xxx97xxx97 Member Posts: 5,721
edited November 2006 in Ask the Experts
why are they skyrocketing in price,i must have missed something,$800. and higher?

Comments

• Options
    Old FoolOld Fool Member Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Blue Book says $800 for one in 100% condition, but they are notoriously low on Colt values.
  • Options
    duckhunterduckhunter Member Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    No longer made. Colt 44 mag.
  • Options
    mrbrucemrbruce Member Posts: 3,374
    edited November -1
    If you think thats high try to find a 45 in one for a reasonable price.
  • Options
    William81William81 Member Posts: 24,586 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I bought one in 1993 for 439.00, the dealer had three or four more at the time, wish I had bought them all...
  • Options
    bull300wsmbull300wsm Member Posts: 3,289
    edited November -1
    I bought one several years ago at an auction , paid 400.00 if I remember right box and papers. Sold it to Cabelas[:(] for 675.00 last year. Very nice shooter but my arthritis in my hands could not handle the recoil[:(]. One of the best ever made in my opinion... Bull
  • Options
    ZinderblocZinderbloc Member Posts: 925 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The S&W 629 is a better gun IMO, lighter and more comfortable; but Colt collectors (I'm one of 'em) will pay $$$ for the Colt name every time.

Colt didn't make all that many Anacondas. Five years from now they will be $1K each.
  • Options
    William81William81 Member Posts: 24,586 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had a couple of 629's they could not hold a candle to the Anaconda for accuracy.
  • Options
    RustyNailRustyNail Member Posts: 803 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you can find an Anaconda in excellent condition for $800--buy it! These are trading over $1000 and climbing fast. Colt stopped making Anacondas, Pythons, King Cobras, Diamondbacks etc just a few years ago and people are snapping them up. The 2006 Blue book was outdated the day it was published as far as the recent Colts are concerned. The older Colts haven't had the "skyrocketing" price surge because thy have been out of production for a lot longer--(there is no sudden surge in demand for these). This is exactly what I like about collecting guns. I enjoy them as "toys" but they are also excellent investments if you collect high quality "classic" guns. How much is that boat worth you bought two years ago? On the other hand, most of my very nicest guns are "safe queens" so I don't actually get to use them.
  • Options
    roscorosco Member Posts: 79 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Glad to hear people are getting wise to the Blue Book Blues
    I bought a Anaconda 4in for $675 in Feb,guy used the Blue Book
    to place value.Only time it helped me get a good deal.
  • Options
    ClarentaviousClarentavious Member Posts: 800 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think Colt's Custom Shop may still make Anaconda's and Python's upon special request. The Python (a similar gun, but in 357) has been known for outstanding quality for decades - though the model has been revised since the 60's

Some people hate Colts and refuse to buy them. Part of this is because of the "strike" Some people boycotted anything Colt after the company's ownership changed hands and the new owner said he wanted a federal licensing and registration system in place. Others don't trust Colt because of their relatively poor quality control standards during parts of the 80's and 90's

But Colt just isn't what it used to be compared to the 60's "Colt" brand M16's for various military were being replaced by similar models from other companies such as Armalite. Due to pricing and a coupe of other reasons, it was just a downwards spiral for the company. I'm not saying they are a bad company or make bad products - they just aren't as popular as they used to be.

I've seen Colt Mustangs in good condition selling for nearly $1,000 Some of their discontinued models make excellent collector's pieces.