In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

1911 Slide Fit ???

Yankee45Yankee45 Member Posts: 6 ✭✭
edited November 2006 in Ask the Experts
Does anyone know if a Series 70 1911 slide fit on a Pre-Series 70 frame ?

Comments

• perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Yes They in most cases will. With that said As with all mass produced items Colt built 1911 type pistols there may be a frame withy rails on the large side and a slide on the small side and it may "DRAG" slightly . slides and frames are switched all the time however if you put a series 80 slide on a series 70 or earlier frame it has no way of working the fireing pin block."PRAISE THE HARD-BALL GUN"
  • dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Since the 80s series firing pin block is trigger activated, could switching to a series 70 slide result in a better trigger pull?
  • PearywPearyw Member Posts: 3,699
    edited November -1
    I have put 80 series slides on 70 series style frames. I usually remove the spring loaded plunger and spring, and change the firing pin stop to a 70 style. You can change the firing pin and extractor to a 70 series if you want or retain the 80 series firing pin and extractor. They will work with either. If you want to use a 80 slide and frame with 70 series hammer, do the above and install a spacer that can be purchased to fill in the space on the hammer pin.
  • perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Hello Dfletcher Th eo problem in that is part of the frame side added parts push up on the slide mounted parts in a Series 80 if you install a series 70 slide on a series 80 frame with all frame parts installed I don't think you will even be able to pull the trigger[xx(]. People like Brownell's sell a kit to remove these parts[^] but There is a big BREW-HAHA within the rules Commitee because it states that all safeties must be working. NEVER NEVER NEVER put a series 80 hammer in any non series 80 pistol the series 80 has no half cock notch just a shelf for the sear to set on .also think about this on removeing safty Can you spell LAWSUITE[:(!]. my advice sell series 80 Colt and get another pistol if you want good trigger pull [^][^]"PRAISE THE HARD-BALL GUN"
  • dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Actually I've always avoided the series 80 - I don't like anything interfering with a decent trigger pull. A little off subject but still on the 1911s, I just bought a CZ Dan Wesson 1911 Bobtail. Excellent quality, crisp no creep trigger and no - and I really mean none - movement from slide to frame to barrel. The slide moves back evenly and smoothly with no tight spots at all. Might be worth a look for 1911 fans.