In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Need help with my FAL

gungeeksgungeeks Member Posts: 19 ✭✭
edited November 2006 in Ask the Experts
So I took the fal that I bought last week to the range today. I loaded the magazine with 5 rounds. Fired one and after that it didn't fire at all.

I had to take the lower out and I found that the bolt is stuck in the receiver and I believe the spent shell was not ejected either.

How do I take the bolt out.

Any ideas.

Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    jbw1776jbw1776 Member Posts: 3,056
    edited November -1
    Been a while since I had mine, but best I remember...

There is a lever on the back, left side of the receiver, close to where the stock meets the receiver. Pull the lever back and the rifle should hinge in the middle (open up where the stock meets the receiver). Slide off the dust cover (sheatmetal covering the bolt), it pulls out the rear. The bolt has a thin rod attched to the back of it, you should see it immediately when you hinge the rifle open. Pull the rod/bolt out the back (same as the dust cover).

I don't know exactly what went on with your FAL, but it sounds like the gas valve is closed. There is a gas valve on the front of the rifle, right in front of the forearm on the barrel. I think it's on the top and should be marked something like 0-9. For the life of me I can't rememberwhich setting allows more gas or less, but you can actually completely turn off the gas where the bolt will not cycle at all. You will have to manually cycle it, like a bolt action. I think you start with it closed, fire a round, then turn it up a notch. Keep firing and turning it up until it will cycle reliably, then turn it up one or two more turns.

You can go here and search the FAQ's, under General Discusion and find out just about everything you want to know about your FAL. Good luck.

http://www.falfiles.com/forums/index.php

*EDIT* Did you try to eject the spent shell by cycling the bolt (pull back on the charging handle)? If you did and you can't pull back on the charging handle then it sounds like the spent shell os stuck in the chamber. Better make sure that it's the spent shell in the chamber and not a second live round. From this point on I can't give you anymore advice because I just can't remember how the FAL is setup, though you might could tap out the case by inserting a cleaning rod or wooden dowel down the muzzle, with the rifle hinged open and the cover off. But before you do that wait and see if someone more experienced with the FAL comes along with a better idea.

Ben
  • Options
    gungeeksgungeeks Member Posts: 19 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Actually, its the bolt which houses the firing pin is stuck in the receiver. I can slide the bolt housing which has a tail/rod at the back of it, a little bit on the receiver.

The gas setting is currently between 3 and 4.
  • Options
    richbugrichbug Member Posts: 3,650
    edited November -1
    Sounds like you didn't have enough gas and it ran the fired case back into the chamber. Happens quite often when setting up a new rifle. Close your gas valve down to 2 and try again once you have it cleared.

YOu need to do the FAL "pogo" to clear it.
    1. Remove the magazine.
    2. Place the rifles butt on the ground.
    3. pull down on the charging handle till it stops.
    4. Bounce the butt of the rifle on the ground while still maintaining pressure on the charging handle.
    5. repeat step 4 till the case is pulled out.

The heavy mass of the bolt carrier works as a slide hammer to pull the stuck case. Check out FALfiles.com for more great info.
  • Options
    drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,545 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    With every new FAL you buy you need to adjust your gas system. The jam you mention is most likely result of an improperly adjusted gas system.

The correct way to adjust your gas system (must be done on a range w/ live ammo) is to start on #7 load one round into the chamber though the ejection port & shoot. The goal is to get the bolt lock back.

Move to 6.5 (or the click in between 7 &6) and try again. Keep turning the gas regulator to a lower number after every shot till the bolt locks back. Once the bolt locks back after the shot is fired. Fire 3 to 5 rounds single shot and see if bolt stays locked back.

At this point my FAL manual recommends you tighten the gas block two more clicks. (When I get mine to lock back I leave it alone)

I find my FAL shoots best on gas setting 3.5. Yours may differ.

The idea theory behid the gas system is that as the gun get's dirtier and dirtier with loads of shooting, you can tighten down the gas system and it will continue to run. At some point though you will need to clean the gas sytem out.

I find all these FALs (especially century's) need to break in (not barrel break in but parts break in). The parts needs to wear together. The only way for that to happen is to shoot it alot.

For more FAL info go check out:

http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=60277

Feel free to drop me an email if you have more questions.
  • Options
    iwannausernameiwannausername Member Posts: 7,131
    edited November -1
    Make sure it is unloaded, or at least pointed in a very safe direction. Get your head below barrel level.

With one hand, pull back on the charging handle on the left side of the reciever. With the other, bounce your rifle on the ground or shooting bench firmly. Eventually, you'll get the bolt/bolt carrier all the way back.

Then adjust your gas, the process varies slightly depending on whether you have a bolt hold open or not. Like the others said, falfiles.com for best FAL info.
  • Options
    drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,545 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Pogo method is the way to go. You can also hook the charging handle on something solid and push the rifle forward, violently. Keep the safety on and finger away from the trigger. Also keep your fingers away from the solid object.

What ammo you using? Silver Bear or Woof?

Get yourself some good South African brass 308 surplus from www.aimsurplus.com
    best stuff around right now.