In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

winchester M52 stock question

DokeyDokey Member Posts: 941 ✭✭✭
edited November 2006 in Ask the Experts
I just picked up a Winchester mod 52 stock and am trying to find out how old and for what version gun it's for. After I took all the hardware off the only marks on the wood are a 181 under the bar in the forearm and what looks like a star in a square stamped on the bottom of the pistol grip. The trigger guard has 2 adjustment holes that are stamped 'pull' and 'O.T.' The only other thing is there are 3 rubber like bedding strips , 1 in the rear of the receiver, 1 at the start of the barrel channel in front of the lug and 1 about 2" back from the tip of the forearm

Comments

• Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Hello If it has a place for a front barrel band it is an "A" model if it has a place for magazine "NOT SINGLE SHOT" then it is A-C model single shot D-E picture would help narrow it down.
  • Options
    RembrandtRembrandt Member Posts: 4,486 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Only C, D, E models had the holes in the guard for trigger adjustment. If it has the right side hole for a magazine release button, that narrows it down to a "C" model.

There were four barrel diameters available....Sporter, standard weight, heavy weight, and bull barrel. If you have the barrel channel dimension that should help identify what the original stock fit.

Can't tell you right off what the stock markings are....check out Houze's book "Winchester 52, Perfection in Design" for more info.
  • Options
    DokeyDokey Member Posts: 941 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The barrel channel looks like a tight 1", and there a clip release recess on the right side
  • Options
    RembrandtRembrandt Member Posts: 4,486 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    If it has the two trigger adjustment holes in the guard and the recess it's a 52C.

I need to research this more throughly, I believe bull barrels are 1" and the heavy barrel is 7/8" at the muzzle. Code number for a bull barrel gun would have been G5250R.

barrel.jpg