In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Law Enforcement Confiscated Weapons

fcdlfcdl Member Posts: 158 ✭✭✭
edited November 2006 in Ask the Experts
I just had a county Sheriff contact me (FFL Dealer) and requested I place a bid on 99 confiscated weapons they have. I did that and placed a bid. I did not see anything wrong with this as long as weapons went to FFL's. Does anyone see anything wrong here? To date weapons are still in the Sheriff's Office.

Comments

• Options
    HighballHighball Member Posts: 15,755
    edited November -1
    A common practice in areas where insane politicians are not running the show.
    Here in Tulsa they haul them over to the steel mill...and melt them.
  • Options
    p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 25,750
    edited November -1
    Consider yourself lucky.
  • Options
    MossbergboogieMossbergboogie Member Posts: 12,211
    edited November -1
    most state requires them to be melted down
  • Options
    Laredo LeftyLaredo Lefty Member Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have bought confiscated guns and ammo at auction before. I see nothing wrong with it, I hope you win your bid.

The alternative is their destruction which is a shame. They either get melted down or thrown in the ocean in extremely deep water.

If it goes to auction, then the agency gets some money back into their budget for equipment or training. When liberals here of this they usually scream that the guns are going back out on the streets to be used in crime, which is BS.
  • Options
    scottbscottb Member Posts: 65 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    This is not unheard of. If the bid is accepted, repost and let us know how the experience went and if it was worth it. I would assume a decent amount would be near junk, firearms of poor quality or in poor condition. I don't think the majority of crooks and dedicated poachers appreciate quality firearms like the rest of us. Sounds interesting.
  • Options
    rmillrmill Member Posts: 595 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I sold our confiscated guns several years in a row thru online gun auction brokers and then.... Yep, the state put a whammy on it by passing a law that all proceeds from sales went to.... yep, the STATE! I personally think it's a great idea (what your state is doing, not MY state). However, it won't be long an politics will eliminate this altogether and I HATE that!!! I catch a lot of heat for my views on this politically, but... I DON'T CARE! It's the RIGHT thing to do.
  • Options
    hslaterprycehslaterpryce Member Posts: 927 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When I had my shop in Florida I did this all of the time. Also a great place to get gun parts as the PBC Sheriffs office would destroy the receivers on guns used in crimes BUT would salvage and sell all of the parts (other than the receiver). If you can do this go for it. It is good for the gun business and the consumer both. Good luck!!! ghs
  • Options
    fcdlfcdl Member Posts: 158 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for all the comments. Still have not heard anything back. Bid was placed in May. I offered to take them, disassemble them, keep the parts and demill the receiver to most of Ohio's counties but only one got back to me. The Sheriff I'm working with only wants shop credit, no money. This will allow him to control the money and not the state. Sounds like a good idea to me. Again Thanks for the comments. Fred
  • Options
    drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,531 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    This guy http://www.summitgunbroker.com/ (he sells on here)
    gets alot of his guns from law enforcement. He's got some real steals on used LE glocks.
  • Options
    Dean CascioDean Cascio Member Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    They used to do it here in Orange Ca. until the 1990's[:(!]
    Dean