In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Remington .32 rifle

tocamohatocamoha Member Posts: 271 ✭✭
edited November 2006 in Ask the Experts
I'm looking for information on an old remington .32 single shot rifle falling block with octagon barrel. its missing the buttstock.Barrel is marked "remington arms co ,Ilion N.Y.Is this amodern or Black powder gun ? Any other information is welcome

Comments

• Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Remington Made their Number 4 Rolling block in .32 Rim fire.
    If it's one of these, ammo is hard to get. Converting it to .32 centerfire is a big job. It will handle 32 RF smokeless ammo.
  • Options
    blackpowdermaxblackpowdermax Member Posts: 130 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If your Remington is truly a falling block (the block drops straight down away from the receiver), then it is a Remington-Hepburn and is probably a centerfire caliber, 32-40 or 32-30 Remington-Hepburn. If it is a Hepburn, the lever to drop the block will be on the right side of the receiver (see picture). If the block rolls backward away from the receiver, then it is a rolling block as noted above.

200781783.jpg

The Hepburn will have the caliber stamped on the underside of the barrel just in front of the forearm. Let us know the stamping and I can tell you the caliber.

max
  • Options
    tocamohatocamoha Member Posts: 271 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yes its the rolling block.The 32 is marked on the bottom of the barrel.Do you think I could find a butt stock for it?Since ammo is hard to get it would make a nice wallhanger.
  • Options
    blackpowdermaxblackpowdermax Member Posts: 130 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I believe they made a lot of the #4's, so maybe an old beater with a good stock or have a new one made. As for ammo, I believe I heard rumors that the Old Western Scrounger (Navy Arms now???) is going to import another batch of 32 RF Long late this year so you may be in luck. A Google search should turn him up.

Good luck......

max
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There are #4 rolling block parts occasionally on EBARF.
    A butt stock from any caliber (22,25,32) would fit.
  • Options
    remingtongeoremingtongeo Member Posts: 178
    edited November -1
    Remington made 32's in the 1 1/2, 2, 4, 6 and 7. It's most likely a #4. Check Gun Parts www.gunpartscorp.com first.

Can you supply a photo or more details? How wide is the block, how long is the barrel, is it round, etc?

And hey I know the #6 was really a falling block.
  • Options
    BlckhrnBlckhrn Member Posts: 5,136
    edited November -1
    A few guys are parting them out on ebay. Numrich arms lists #4 RB parts, too.

Watch the auctions for ammo. I picked up a couple boxes of the OWS imported ammo and a few boxes of old CCI, both .32 RF long. Not cheap.

I picked up a couple spare breech blocks to try converting mine to CF as those can be reloaded. CF ammo isn't cheap either as only .32 Colt works (as far as I have been able to find out). I think Winchester was making .32 Colt short but even that was around $25/box.

Either .32 RF long or .32 long Colt are a pretty weak load, shooting it will be pretty much for the experience of shooting a 100 yr old gun. Don't expect much in the way of performance if you try it.