In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

rem. 7400 vs. browning bar?

alaskanmanalaskanman Member Posts: 362 ✭✭✭
edited February 2007 in Ask the Experts
which one of these autoloaders is more reliable? i've been wanting to get an semi-auto for my wife but don't know much about either rifle. thanks for your time.

Comments

• jbw1776jbw1776 Member Posts: 3,056
    edited November -1
    I would choose the BAR over the 7400. Better design, better made, IMO.

Ben
  • 11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    No personal experience with the 7400, but have an older BAR in 243 that I love. Reliable, and as accurate as a bolt gun.
  • DONDALINGERDONDALINGER Member Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Either one is a good choice. I have both and the 7400 is a little more accurate. The BAR is a nicer looker gun with better fit and finish. I am a big fan of high powered semi auto rifles. I think you will be pleased with either one. Pick the one that fits best.[8D]
  • alaskanmanalaskanman Member Posts: 362 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    hey DONDALINGER, have you ever had reliablity problems with the 7400? i was looking at either the 308 or 30-06 for either rifle. thanks again for your input.
  • iwannausernameiwannausername Member Posts: 7,131
    edited November -1
    BAR comes with BOSS, so it can/will have the edge in accuracy.
  • DONDALINGERDONDALINGER Member Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've had my 7400 since 1988 and have never had a jam or hiccup of any kind. That being said, I have heard of some of the 7400's breaking extractors. I think this is probably from dirty, neglected chambers. You have to clean a semi auto! You can get away with letting a bolt action go a little dirty, but the semi's can be finicky. My brother watched me drop a buck at a measured 350 yards with my 7400 a few years back and the next season he had one. They are good rifles.
  • HerschelHerschel Member Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have fired BAR's in various calibers and found them accurate without the BOSS. Go with the Browning but be kind to your ears and leave off the BOSS.
  • I.ShuteI.Shute Member Posts: 647
    edited November -1
    BAR !!! No comparison!
    I have 3 and they're last 3 rifles I'll ever sell.
    I want to be buried with one.

7400 versus BAR? Like comparing an Essex and a Deusenberg SJ.
  • je2140je2140 Member Posts: 225 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    BAR much better, very accurate excellent trigger. 7400's have mediocre triggers and the hammer is only heavy enough for ammo with soft primers such as Winchester, Remington, and Federal
  • perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Remington = ford pinto Browning Bar = BMW Your mileage may vary. [:p][:p]
  • bnailonbnailon Member Posts: 460 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The BAR--No Question! I love my Belgian in 30-06. Took a nice 160 class whitetail with it a few years ago. Here's a little advice if your wife plans to hunt with it-

Occasionally my BAR 30-06 will "click" (misfire) if I do not pull the bolt all the way back and let it slam forward inserting a round into the chamber. For example, used to when I get in the deer stand (trying to be quiet), after loading the magazine I pulled the bolt back and eased it forward by hand closing the chamber. Must have been some miniscule space there between the pin and the primer and it would misfire. No dent in the primer though that I could tell. Clicked on a couple of deer until I figured it out.
  • ljc2tallljc2tall Member Posts: 87 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Had the same experience in Kansas this year. Didn't have the bolt all the way closed and missed on a nice 8 pt. Didn't want to let it slam closed and make a lot of noise. My buddy shoot a deer at 390 paces with it. Just bought a bar in the 270wsm.