In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

444 contender

2-blade2-blade Member Posts: 46 ✭✭
edited February 2007 in Ask the Experts
I recently acquired a barrel for an old type TC contender chamberd for 444 Marlin,SS.super 14,rechemberd from a 44 mag.is this safe to shoot factory amo?I don"t plan to shoot factory but just wondering. The only diference from the 430 JDJ.is the 430 is .100" shorter.I assume so the 444 cant be chamberd in it.I would apperciat suggestions on loads from someone with exp. with this. thanks.Mike.

Comments

• Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    2-blade,

The .444 Marlin was designed for Marlin by Remington as a higher performance rimmed cartridge for use in the stronger actioned lever rifles (M444) operating in the 50,000 PSI range. The T/C Contenders usually operate in the 40,000 PSI range when chambered for the 30-30 Win.

I'm not one of those shooters who is interested in every last FPS available from a cartridge so I suggest checking with the manufacturers for the operating pressure levels of the factory ammunition. If you intend to shoot this cartridge, I would pay close attention to what T/C suggests for pressure levels.

Best.