In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

stuck case

sinsirsinsir Member Posts: 31 ✭✭
edited February 2007 in Ask the Experts
I had a 223 case break in two in a sizing die while reloading. About 1/2 inch of the base came out on my shell holder. How do I remove the rest of the case without harming the die. any ideas?

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    I was full length resizing 45-90 cases & one broke off in the die.
    The head separated from the case & the remainder is still in the die.
    I can not get it out. Any suggestions? Thanks!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    down at the range yesterday, my buddy brought out his mauser action, re-barrled to .270. i rember this gun being a great shooter, but befor he shot, he said the last time it was shot, a case expanded in the chamber, causing the bolt to stick. He figured it was a hot reload, and though nothing more of it. yesterday, with a new box of winchester, the first round expanded the case and stuck the bolt again. there is obiviously a defect... any ideas what it could be, i was thinking it could be a headspace or worn chamber issue.
  • Options
    Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    More than likely the lug seats have "set back". Your buddy is going to have to have the barrel pulled, and the seats inspected (pulling the barrel is the easiest way to do this).
    A rifle can pas the GO/NO-GO testing, and still have a headspace issue, if the seats have set back. What happens is that with the NO-GO gauge inplace, the bolt will stop on the high part of the seat, but with a cartridge in place the bolt can rotate to a "dented" portion of the seat. After firing/case expansion, the bolt has to be forced out of the "dent" and back onto the high part before it can be opened fully.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    intersting ... and thanks for the info, as i've never seen this before
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    TAIL GUNNER most likely has it right BUT it could be that the rifle has some rust in the chamber my suggestion would be to get say a 45 bore mop something that would be snug in the chamber and then use some JB bore cleaner and move the mop in and out of just the chamber area. do not spin with a drill you want in and out movement only it does not take much of roughness in a chamber to make a shell stick. your friend might have forgotten to clean his gun and a bore brush will not contact the chamber area . if he used something like break cleaner on his rifle this can set upa place for rust to start.Just my $.02
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm assuming you have opened the bolt with a wood, rawhide or rubber mallet. Before you yank the barrel, get that chamber bright and examine the reflection of light carefully along the chamber wall. You might have a bulged chamber. Also measure the fired case for a bulge.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    thanks guys, i will pass along the info