In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

High point 45

mjalmsmjalms Member Posts: 294 ✭✭✭
edited February 2007 in Ask the Experts
A friend has one of these high point 45's and he commented that it was ok and we were going to work out a trade but I wanted to get some expert opinions about this pistol. Is it tough and durable (reliable)I know it's cheap but that doesn't always mean unreliable. Please assist? THANKS for all your support of knowledge. It is always appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    jbw1776jbw1776 Member Posts: 3,056
    edited November -1
    Hi mjalms,

No doubt this thread will reach the 10 post max. rather quickly, but while you wait, click "search" at the top right of the screen and type in "Hi-Point". You'll get more opinions on these guns than you want.

Ben
  • Options
    Spider7115Spider7115 Member, Moderator Posts: 29,714 ******
    edited November -1
    An excellent weight to keep your rowboat from drifting away. [:D]
  • Options
    drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,533 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ugly.
    Requires tools to field strip.
    No resale value.
    Un-ergonomic.

Will it kill someone? Yes.

Would I ever buy or trade for 1? No.
  • Options
    MooseyardMooseyard Member Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Don't even consider it. They are junk. I wouldn't trust a hi point to handle a 22LR safely, much less a 45ACP. They do make good boat anchors like the previous poster said, but it can't be a very big boat.
  • Options
    catpealer111catpealer111 Member Posts: 10,695
    edited November -1
    I have a Hi Point 45, its a jam-O-matic and the last time I cleaned it, ti was full of metal shavings even though I kept it well oiled. Save your money, don't get it.
  • Options
    753TMan753TMan Member Posts: 1 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Wow, for so called "experts" I would be inclined to say you know nothing of what you speak of on this matter. It's easy to take a common opinion and make it your own. I bet MOST of these "experts" have never owned one. I'll go as far as saying that they have never even shot one. I own a moderate collection of firearms. My Hi-Point is by far the least expensive of all of them. But is it the cheapest? Not at all. I have a Hi-Point 995 9mm Carbine. I love that thing. It is a fun rifle. It also has had 15K + rounds through it thus far and hasn't had anything but a stove pipe or two, and they were in the first 500 rounds. If you want serious information from actual owners check out a forum at http://hipoint.7.forumer.com/ There you will find actual owners and actual reports and the nicest communities online that I have found yet. They discuss some issues that are occasionally seen. But this is the closest to a real opinion that you will find on these firearms. Don't listen to every gun snob out there that will rather everyone out there to spend several grand per purchase. Some people just can't afford a hi-end weapon, so does this mean they don't deserve a firearm? Pretty harsh guys. Hi-Points arn't for everyone, can't think of a firearm that is. Would I carry a JHP 45 (hi points 45) over my springfield 1911, no. But do I consider it a safe dependable weapon, yes I do. Ok, now lets talk warranties. C'mon guys, fill me in on how all your firearm companies compare.

hi-point: No questions asked warranty, barrel to butt. Sights to trigger. Mags and even scopes that they ship with their weapons. You decide to do a little alterations on your own firearm (all to common) and botch something up. You call you company up. With Hi-Point, they usually won't even let you pay for the item. Most cases they give you the option of mailing the part to you, or you can mail in your weapon and have it repaired. Choose the latter, don't be surprised to get it back quickly and find a mag or two thrown in to make up for the shipping you had to pay to have it mailed off.

So, post it up guys, put me down if you want. But if you really want to prove a point, prove me wrong. Heck, call Hi-Point customer service and talk to them, ask them questions. They are the model that all service lines should be paying attention to and taking note. Now I can see a "He must a Hi Point employee...nope. Come on over to the forum and find me Taurus357 I'm a senior member w/ the 5th highest post count. I invite anyone and everyone with a civil disposition to come on over and check it out.
  • Options
    tobefreetobefree Member Posts: 7,401
    edited November -1
    753TMan I wouldn't bet on that, I had one and a lot of these folks did as well... Took me two yrs to find a sucker to take it off my hands....The common opinion here is that it is junk, cause it is. There ain't one guy here that wouldn't jump on a quality 200 dollar weapon and praise it to the Moon, We bought it, we shot it and we were disapointed to say the least. I heard the bad and heard the Hype. Dude you can believe the bad....
  • Options
    Grunt2Grunt2 Member Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have owned one...That being said...As a former firearms instructor I would never allow one to be carried on or off duty!
    It would make a great door stop...
    But whatever trips your trigger! Better to have one and not need it than need one and not have it...If that's what you can afford...so be it..
    Retired LEO
    Combat Vet VN
    D.A.V Life Member
  • Options
    drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,533 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 753TMan
    Come on over to the forum and find me Taurus357 I'm a senior member w/ the 5th highest post count. I invite anyone and everyone with a civil disposition to come on over and check it out.

1st post here and so offensive. Do you troll the internet looking for highpoint threads to pick a fight?
  • Options
    CubsloverCubslover Member Posts: 18,601 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 753TMan
    Wow, for so called "experts" I would be inclined to say you know nothing of what you speak of on this matter.

Wow, a great way to start a reputation.

These Hi Point are crap. You could spend the same about of money and buy a much better firearm(read:Makarov or CZ52). They are UGLY, very uncomfortable to shoot, let alone hold. Unreliable as I'll get out. I don't own one, your right, but there is a reason why. The carbine is an entirely different animal all together.

As for having the 5th highest post count, do you want some sort of applause? A cookie maybe? Our top poster is Hairy, does that mean he is the expert?
    Half of the lives they tell about me aren't true.
  • Options
    catpealer111catpealer111 Member Posts: 10,695
    edited November -1
    Hi Point's carbines are in a far different class than their pistols. I have first hand experience with their pistols, and they're 100% junk. I nor any I know who's shot one has had any trouble with their carbines. If you're after an affordable pistol in 45 acp, save some more money and buy yourself a Rock Island 1911. Do a search for Rock Island on these forums and you'll get plenty of first had knowledge about these pistols.
  • Options
    MooseyardMooseyard Member Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Your right, I haven't owned one, because I know better. I checked them out, and I shot a few of them. I have fixed a few of them too. One of our local dealers started carrying them in the shop. They flew off the shelves, but he also noticed that his FBI trace requests also shot up, and they were all for Hi-Points. Prior to that he never had a FBI Trace request. They are definetly made for a certain market, and I don't want to do business with that market. When someone can get a CZ52, or a Walther P38/01 for just a couple of bucks more, why wouldn't they. A lot of Hi-Point owners brag up the warranty. That's because they use it alot. I would rather buy a gun that has no warranty, but doesn't need it, than to buy a gun with a great warranty that needs it all the time.
  • Options
    fastcarsgofastfastcarsgofast Member Posts: 7,179
    edited November -1
    I don't own one either. A buddy of mine does. He is pleased with the customer service but very unhappy with the firearm. His happens to be the 9mm.
  • Options
    B17-P51B17-P51 Member Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    753Tman, you completly missed the point of this persons question. The question was posed about a Hi Point 45. nowhere did I see an opinion requested on a 9mm carbine. Two different animals, 2 different answers. Anyones opinion is always welcome here, just stick to the question.