In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

30 TC

victorlvlbvictorlvlb Member Posts: 5,004
edited February 2007 in Ask the Experts
How does the 30TC compare to .308, any info would be greatly apprieciated

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    I'm looking at a Hornady 2007 catalog. It looks like Hornady and Thomson/Center teamed up on a new bolt action rifle in .30 caliber,called the ICON. I was in Sportsmans Warehouse , and they didn't have a clue about what I was talking about.Has T/C ever made a bolt acction rifle?How long does it take for a new rifle to hit the stores?Thanks.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Smith & Wesson bought TC, a short while back. This might have an effect on the availability of TC's newly announced BA rifle?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    rufe-snow
    I read about he merger on Hornadys site.
  • Options
    ATFATF Member Posts: 11,683 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's supposed to come out in August? [:)]
  • Options
    carbine100carbine100 Member Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Do a search for "Icon" someone said August in another thread, I think.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the info.
  • Options
    bgjohnbgjohn Member Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It took about 2 years for the G2 frame to get to the store. Maybe S&W will get them moving faster.
    JM
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    victorvlb,

If you go to the TC website( www.tcarms.com) it has the new Icon on there. I like what they have done for the bolt in that you can change handles easily. It will be built to very good specs as I understand it.

The last post about this here it came out that the first 1600 or so are going to have extra fancy stocks that were going to be for Encores.

Anyhow, it does sound exciting but I do wonder about the new Round, the .30 TC. It is smaller than a .308 yet produces more velocity. This is becuase they use a new 'proprietary powder'. I am happier with Hornady lite mag than most any other ammo manufacturer. They at least get what is advertised on the box. However, I have found that quite frequently I exceed Hornady values with standard, safely worked up to loads. Again, nothing against Hornady. I just think the TC is loaded hotter than what commercial loaders will do with the .308.

To me the marketing plan of this is going to backfire because no one will want a .30 TC because without the 'proprietary powder' you aren't supposed to get the velocities that factory ammo can. Other than that I completely wish TC well in the sales of the new rifle. It will be a good addition to the shooting world.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    sandwarrior
    Your right, I think the rifle will be a well built rifle. I just thought I'd like to check out the new rifle.I wouldn't buy into it, unless a few of the other big rifle companys jump in and built some of thier own around the same caliber.
  • Options
    ATFATF Member Posts: 11,683 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by sandwarrior
    victorvlb,

To me the marketing plan of this is going to backfire because no one will want a .30 TC because without the 'proprietary powder' you aren't supposed to get the velocities that factory ammo can. Other than that I completely wish TC well in the sales of the new rifle. It will be a good addition to the shooting world.

There will be other calibers besides the T/C 30 They talk about the.22/250 the .243 and I believe the .308 and possibly one other.[:)]
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ATF,

They do state they already have the .22-250, .243 Win and .308 Win on tap ready to go. Hoping this rifle will make a good break for them.
    What I would really like to see is the .30 TC round necked down to 6.5 and 7mm. Super efficient rounds with bullets of better ballistics. Us target shooters are a funny lot to please.... Anyhow with some success it may turn out the way other companies have done in that they were ready with both short and long action rifles. Because this rifle is going to need to compete in a bigger arena than just beating the .308 in ballistics if it is going to get anywhere.
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yes the advertised velocity might well have to do with Hornady's light magnum technology, along with the short fat EFFICIENT case theory. The ammo for the most part will be more expensive than the run of the mill Remington Core Lokt 30-06, or 308 Win. Being so technologically advanced, the reloader might not be able to reach factory performance, or just barely get there, as is the case with the Winchester WSSM series. At the SHOT show, T/C did say the ICON will be here in August, and the first ones will have AAA fancy wood. Americans love the 30 caliber, and with other necked up and necked down rounds based on the 30 T/C, it should be sucessful.