In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

US Springfield Krag-Jorgensen info???

GunHawkeGunHawke Member Posts: 576 ✭✭✭
edited May 2008 in Ask the Experts
Hello from the sunny south [8D],

Can anyone direct me to a site where I can find out more about my Krag-Jorgensen? Mine has the short carbine forearm stock, a receiver dated 1894 and a stock cartouche dated 1895. The serial number is 195xx.,

Thanks,
Jim
GunHawke

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    Spider7115Spider7115 Member, Moderator Posts: 29,714 ******
    edited November -1
    This site will tell you everything you want to know, including pictures: http://kragcollectorsassociation.org/

1895 is the correct manufacture date. However, I believe you have a cutdown Model 1892 rifle as no carbines were produced until 1896 with the exception of two experimental carbines made in 1894.
  • Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,972 ******
    edited November -1
    I didn't check the above mentioned site, but the NRA sold 'cut-down' krag's in the early 1900's. these are recognised as a variation as opposed to a 'bubba'd' rifle.
  • Options
    Spider7115Spider7115 Member, Moderator Posts: 29,714 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by MIKE WISKEY
    I didn't check the above mentioned site, but the NRA sold 'cut-down' krag's in the early 1900's. these are recognised as a variation as opposed to a 'bubba'd' rifle.
    That's correct as well as Bannerman's. Apparently, "variation" and "sporterized" rifles are more marketable than "Bubba'd" [:D]
  • Options
    reindeerreindeer Member Posts: 129 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    North Cape Publications has an excellent collector's guide to the Krag. There are other books. This one is a good start. First, familiarize yourself with the text format. The, take a pad and pencil, a ruler and a magnifying glass. Block out 2 hours of time and, under good lighting, examine your rifle. Make careful notes and enjoy. reindeer
  • Options
    madsenshootermadsenshooter Member Posts: 1 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The folks are telling you right, you have a model 92 rifle that has been shortened. Production of the model 92 didn't begin until 1894, thus the receiver date, and continued through 1895, thus the stock cartouche. They make fine rifles, even cutdown. Your 92 was probably udated to model 96 configuration, the two major differences being the cutoff, in original model 92's down was open and allowed cartridges to feed. It was changed to up, open. And the safety was changed, held with a little ball and spring arrangement rather than a pin. The receiver of your rifle was made in September of 1895.