In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

How often to you see arsenal marked G 98 sporters

TexraidTexraid Member Posts: 46 ✭✭
edited May 2008 in Ask the Experts
Can't post a picture as it's up for local auction. Gew 98 with stippled/ingraved reveiver ring, butterknife bolt ingraved, all matching, about 70% condition, stock marked Gwf over A inside triangle.....Amberg arsenal?? It's definitely not a sporterized military stock.

Any ideas on stock markings, value, etc.

Comments

• rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It was quite common in Europe for gunsmiths who converted military rifles into sporters, to obscure the receiver ring markings with stippling. Of course sight unseen, it's impossible to make any sort of a positive determination.
  • TexraidTexraid Member Posts: 46 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    rufe-snow,
    I am thinking this came out of the Amberg arsenal but I'm not that up to date on arsenal markings. I seem to recall a thread somewhere that Amberg did indeed put out sporting rifles in addition to military. I'm aware that military rifles were often sporterized and I wish I could post a picture but this one is definitely not a military stock but it has an arsenal cartouche.
    Thanks for the input.
  • WulfmannWulfmann Member Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have seen a few sporterized 98 types that had the stock replaced by a sporter original.

Does the receiver have the cut out for the stripper clips????
    Not removed but some military guns have had that area welded over and made to look commercial.

Hard to say without pictures but even with pictures we sometimes see what we want and do not see something in front of us but ignored.
    I have.

Wulfmann
    3YUCmbB.jpg
    "Fools learn from their own mistakes. I learn from the mistakes of others"
    Otto von Bismarck
  • TexraidTexraid Member Posts: 46 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Here is a few pictures and what I have found in my research. This particular rifle was made at Amberg Arsenal in Bavaria. After the Treaty of Versailles, Amberg started producing sporting rifles to re-coup some of their losses. There seems to have few made and few have been documented. This one is SN 161. There is another up for sale over on AA with SN 114 but it has been seriously monkeyed with.

5-1.jpg
    3-1.jpg
    1-1.jpg