In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Attn Bert M.70 Date of Manufacture? Someone Help?

MarnerMarner Member Posts: 2,977
edited May 2008 in Ask the Experts
I have a Winchester Model 70, Super Grade in .300 Win Mag. It is the Mauser style CRF action with 24in. barrel & no sights. The Serial Number is G15402.

I acquired this rifle a few years ago new in the box with hang tags. The lady I purchased it from was unable to tell me when her late husband had purchased it.

I have never been able to determine the date of manufacture. If someone could help me with this it would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hello Marner,

The DOM is sometime after 1981. To determine the precise year, you will need to call the U.S. repeating Arms Co. at (800) 333-3288.
  • MarnerMarner Member Posts: 2,977
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Bert H.
    Hello Marner,

The DOM is sometime after 1981. To determine the precise year, you will need to call the U.S. repeating Arms Co. at (800) 333-3288.

Thank you Bert...
    Much appreciated.
  • tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    This is going to make Bert cringe, and I hope he does not beat me up to much, but the serialization in the Blue Book says it was made in 1990, as that is when they re-introduced the Classic with the Mauser style claw extractor, and the controlled round feeding.

Be gentle Bert....
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by tsr1965
    This is going to make Bert cringe, and I hope he does not beat me up to much, but the serialization in the Blue Book says it was made in 1990, as that is when they re-introduced the Classic with the Mauser style claw extractor, and the controlled round feeding.

Be gentle Bert....

As I mentined in my previous reply, "sometime after 1981", and your reply "1990" most definitely fits into that category[:)]. It would be interesting to know if the Blue Book actually matches the U.S. Repeating Arms Co.'s records.
  • tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Bert H.
    quote:Originally posted by tsr1965

Be gentle Bert....

As I mentined in my previous reply, "sometime after 1981", and your reply "1990" most definitely fits into that category[:)]. It would be interesting to know if the Blue Book actually matches the U.S. Repeating Arms Co.'s records.

I am not sure if it does, but you know is does not match, or even ballpark some of the pre 64 records.
  • MarnerMarner Member Posts: 2,977
    edited November -1
    Bert & TSR..

I called Browning / Winchester at the number you provided Bert and they tell me the rifle is a Classic which was introduced in 1990 and the year run ended with Ser G16859 so... in fact my rifle DOM was 1990.

Thanks again for the help [:)]
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Marner
    Bert & TSR..

I called Browning / Winchester at the number you provided Bert and they tell me the rifle is a Classic which was introduced in 1990 and the year run ended with Ser G16859 so... in fact my rifle DOM was 1990.

Thanks again for the help [:)]

You are welcome, and thank you very kindly for posting the follow-up information[:)]. I just hope that the U.S.R.A.Co. will someday publish the information so that people would not have to call them.