In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

POWDER SELECTION

justright58justright58 Member Posts: 333 ✭✭✭
edited May 2008 in Ask the Experts
Good Day Forum,
I have been contemplating one powder for loading both .223 and .308. My .223 loads will be mostly 69 gr. BTHP and the .308 will be mostly 168 gr. BTHP with some 173 or 180 gr.
After scanning several load books, it seems that H335 is one that looks promising as well as economical.
Do any of you have experience with H335 in either caliber and your thoughts on my 'one-fits-all' approach???
Many thanks to all responses AND a most sincere THANKS to all our military vets and active personnel.
John[8D]

Comments

• Options
    CHEVELLE427CHEVELLE427 Member Posts: 6,750
    edited November -1
    I just tried some H335 and it worked great was using AA2230.
    used a 55sp and some 70sp went from 1 3/4 group to 1/2-3/4 @100 yd.
    not sure how it will be for the 308 , dont have one (yet).

think i will stick with the h335 [;)]
  • Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    Give some Varget a try. Also I read about Ramshot Tac being very good.
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Another good one to try is the W-W 748. This should work well in both.
  • Options
    HAROHARO Member Posts: 53 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    HAVE TRIED H335 IN 223 GOOD RESULTS. FOR 308 TRY W-748, W760 AND TOO MANY OTHERS TO LIST. H335 DID NOT GIVE ME GOOD RESULTS IN 308 OR 30-06. GOOD LUCK. HARO
  • Options
    justright58justright58 Member Posts: 333 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    After looking at several more loading tables and reading testimonials, VARGET looks like it will be my choice as the best powder for both .223 and .308.
    The next question:
    Is there a paricular brand of primer that has produced better results over another? I saw a few loads in .308 that specifically called for CCI 'Magnum' Rifle primers.
    I recently purchased a bunch of Winchester primers in all sizes for my caliber of guns. Will the Winchester 'WLR' primers suffice for Varget powder?
    Many thanks to all responses.
    John[8D]
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by justright58
    After looking at several more loading tables and reading testimonials, VARGET looks like it will be my choice as the best powder for both .223 and .308.
    The next question:
    Is there a paricular brand of primer that has produced better results over another? I saw a few loads in .308 that specifically called for CCI 'Magnum' Rifle primers.
    I recently purchased a bunch of Winchester primers in all sizes for my caliber of guns. Will the Winchester 'WLR' primers suffice for Varget powder?
    Many thanks to all responses.
    John[8D]

Most loading manuals have a recipe that is primer specific, and they state which primer they are using. If you switch ANY components, the safe way it to start at minimum or 5% below minimun and work your way up, looking for signs of high pressure. When they say ANY component, that is what they mean...including action and test barrel, of which I am fairly sure that none of possess the exact one that any of them used to collect their data.