In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

H&H Can't get an accurate appraisal Please Help..

reefdnareefdna Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
edited June 2009 in Ask the Experts
I purchased this rifle at an auction a couple of months ago here in AZ. I have taken it to several places here in the valley for an appraisal and each time I am met with people who seem to try and take advantage of me being ignorant about these higher end rifles. Each one low-balled me and then hounded me to sell it to them. when I tried to leave they would follow me and keep trying to get me to sell them the gun. At one of the locations 3 employees followed me out of the showroom and tried to talk me into selling to them outside of the store.

Of course this bugged me to no end but made me wonder what the real value of this rifle is since people who are supposed to be experts are adamant about buying it instead of just appraising it. It is a beautiful rifle and I am hoping someone here can help me get a real unbiased opinion on the value of the gun.

The Rifle belonged to a wealthy man here in the valley who had a collection of hundreds of guns. the gentleman was diagnosed with Alzheimers and his adult daughters helped him to liquidate his massive collection at auction where I purchased it. the man said that he purchased the rifle in the 80's from Harry Lawson who is a custom rifle builder in Tucson AZ. He stated that he paid $4,695. he had it as the center piece of his collection and has never shot it. I have the original case with the original pamphlets and is in immaculate condition. Lastly the gentleman stated that it was the first one made which seems to be confirmed by the "No#1" that is stamped on the barrell, but I do not know for sure. I have some pictures if I can figure out how to post them. Thank you for your help ahead of time.

Stamped on the barrel: "375 H&H Mag H. Lawson model 650 No#1"

Ed C
DSC_0072-1.jpg
DSC_0057.jpg
DSC_0045.jpg
DSC_0065.jpg
DSC_0060.jpg
DSC_0073.jpg

Comments

• Options
    givettegivette Member Posts: 10,886
    edited November -1
    Well, it's most likely not a Holland and Holland rifle. It's a __________?? chambered for the .375 H&H cartridge. If it were an H&H rifle, Mr. Lawson would not be part of the manufacturing process. Don't get me wrong, it's a beautiful rifle. But a little more information, if you will...

Can you tell us (or show is through photos) what brand, type, and power scope? What mounts for the scope? And, most importantly what host action did mr. H. Lawson use to manufacture this rifle? What kind of barrel, if possible?

Right off the bat, I think what the original owner paid for it is pretty close to the value if you were to insure it. Can't vouch for the selling price, due to the uniqueness of the rifle (no past history of sales, etc.).

Perhaps someone reading this string will be able to chime in with knowledge of Mr. Lawson's work. Best, Joe
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sadly, there will always be a few gunshop bottom feeders who see nothing wrong with trying to flim flam folks out of valuable guns by paying them a tiny fraction of the true value. In this case, I just don't know; it's entirely possible that you overpaid for the rifle & what you consider a "low-ball" price is realistic for a gun with a very limited market.

I think Givette has taken you in the right direction. What you own is a "Custom Harry Lawson rifle", not an "H&H". Harry may well have made only 1 of each "model number", but it doesn't really matter. The bottom line, there's no such thing as an accurate appraisal of ANY one-of-a-kind item; all you can get is an educated guess from someone who (hopefully) has more experience than you. You just bought the rifle; I'd say that it's "real" value is whatever you paid for it.

You mention the "original case". Did it come with a custom made wood case fitted for the rifle, or are you referring to the cheap commercial case pictured? That certainly could affect the "value".

If you are determined to get opinions from others, the least you can do is provide good quality photos. As Givette pointed out, we can't even see what type action it has. You might want to pay a professional photographer to do the job for you; I've found that most wedding photographers also do studio work. Then, you can show us, & email them to folks who sell high quality guns (Rock Island Auction, Old Town Station, Collectors Firearms) & ask their opinion as to what they think they could get for your rifle.

Neal
  • Options
    moonshinemoonshine Member Posts: 8,471
    edited November -1
    another auction sold a H. lawson not the same cal. I google the name
    and came up with a couple of things.might check out this
    {elsewhere}
    {elsewhere} - H. Lawson & Co. 650 - Custom Rifles > Bolt Action ...Interesting custom bolt-action rifle by H. Lawson & Co., their 650 model, based on a Remington 700 receiver. Chambered in .30-'06, with an integral muzzle ...
    https://www.{elsewhere} /.../H_Lawson_Co_650.htm?... - Cached - Similar
    e

High Bid: $900.00
    SOLD

H Lawson 650 Custom 6.5 Rem Mag Rifle W Scope

H LAWSON 650 CUSTOM 6.5 REM MAG RIFLE W SCOPE Custom H. Lawson Co. model 650 6.5 Rem Mag bolt action rifle with Lyman scope and custom wood grain stock. Excellent condition, SN. 6806527. $1200 - 1800 March Militaria & Firearm Auction Saturday, March 1st at 10:00AM EST Preview The Entire Catalog @ www.AffiliatedAuctions.com Over 600 Lots: Edged Weapons, Firearms, Badges & Awards, Photos, Uniforms, Helmets
  • Options
    GuvamintCheeseGuvamintCheese Member Posts: 38,932
    edited November -1
    Beautiful craftsmanship! Unfortunaltly "custom made guns" are in a very limited market. Thats not to say that it wont ever become collectable. I would price the gun and scope seperatly. My guess on the gun would be somewhere in the 2k range with the right buyer. the scope could be anywhere from $100-$2000. Id shoot it and enjoy a one of a kind.
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    reefdna,

In the world of custom guns, the makers name has a lot to do with the value. And finding the right person to whom that name matters.

For instance, two rifles sitting side by side in a case and one was a famous maker such as Roy Weatherby, and it will bring much more than what the other one would. Both rifles if done well probably cost a pretty penny in their day to make. But without the name they fall into the "just another custom rifle". Although,in some cases, even to the untrained eye, the quality of work can be seen. If they look really nice, $500-600, maybe even a thousand. With a name, the same looking gun would bring $3-$4K. If you look around on some collectors sites Harry Lawsons name may pop up and you may find what the gun really is worth to the right people.

As a WAG (wild @$$-guess) looking at your rifle that it should even go out the door as "just another custom" for less than $1000. As noted though Harry was a custom maker. And since you can see incredible detail in the external, I'm presuming someone that dedicated would put the same amount of time into the internal workings of the rifle. That could then make it a $2000 rifle. Again, add a name that matters to a collector and that price goes up again.

{edit:}
    I found one of his rifle's for sale on another site (GA) that looked pretty much like this one for $3295.
    If it means anything, great art isn't always appreciated at first. If you looked at the history of great artits in painting you will find that one particularly exceptional artist (W. Bougereau) painted so well his critics (headed by the master fingerpainter himself, Matisse) accused him of copying photographs. Some true works of art sat rolled up in barn lofts and attics, in some cases for fifty years, until someone began to see again how good he was. I'd say hang onto that rifle.
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    reefdna,

It's late and I don't want to bore you with a dissertation of collectible rifles. But I thought it might be important to point out a couple of things for your consideration:

- "He stated that he paid $4,695." He might be mistaken although the price is certainly possible to achieve. In the '80s, maybe not.

- Store owners, employees, etc. are not what you should consider to be experts on custom rifles. They will attempt to separate you from your valuable rifle with a little bit money so they can crow about their coup. You need to find a real honest to goodness appraiser and pay him his fee to arrive at a proper value. As I mention below, call Harry's son Rick and discuss this with him.

HARRY LAWSON LLC
    RIFLES: BOLT ACTION

Harry Lawson manufactures the 650 Series in both Mountaineer and Ultralite configurations. These bolt action rifles are custom order, and can be built on a customer supplied Remington 700 barreled action or the action can be purchased separately from $550 - $750. With a customer supplied action, prices start at $2,385 for Grade II XX wood. Additionally, the company customizes a customer supplied Weatherby Mark V barreled action. Prices start at $2,070 for Grade II XX wood.

Harry Lawson Co
    3328 N Richey Blvd, Tucson AZ 85716
    (520) 326-1117

Rick Lawson, Harry's son is continuing to run the business even though Harry has passed on. I suggest that you give him a call and discuss your thoughts with him. I'm sure he will be extremely helpful as that is his nature.

Best.