In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

7.62 or .308 CETME

KenthetoolmanKenthetoolman Member Posts: 839 ✭✭✭✭
edited June 2009 in Ask the Experts
I just bought a Cetme on the auction side and am excited to get and try it as I have been wanting one for years.
I have heard though that some surplus rifles cannot handle factory 308 loads and that you should stick with 7.62 to avoid damage to the weapon. Has anyone had any experience with this or will the Cetme handle 308 alright?

Comments

• Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Kenthetoolman,

There are dozens of long winded treatises written about these rifles and the cartridges. Here is a short synopsis:

The Model A

New assault rifle to replace the Spanish Mauser rifles. The cartridge aim was to be able to incapacitate an enemy up to 1000 m away. So was born the 7'92x40 CETME, a light (6,8 g.), long cartridge (5.8 calibers) with an aluminium core and a brass band. But it didn't match war conventions so the spanish developped a new cartridge : the 7'62 CETME, with a full metal jacket, lighter projectile to be fired in CETME model B.

Model A variants adopted in September 1957 by the army are :

*- A1 : fire selector at the left , fixed cocking handle, and folding stock

* - A2 : free-floating cocking handle, carrying handle

In 1957 the CETME was introduced to Europe and H&K signed an accord to co-develop the rifle.

The Model B

The Model B was born to fire two cartridges, the 7'62 CETME and 7'62 NATO; their principal innovations were a flash suppressor (doubling as a grenade launcher), an anatomic grip, improved carrying handle, and an integrated bipod. The fire selector was still at the right side, and the sights had no modifications. It replaced the Model A in 1958, and was adopted by Navy and Air Force.

The Model C

In 1964 the Model C was adopted by the Army, Navy and Air Force. A cleaning tools capsule was added, using the top as a bayonet lug, and the handguard was made of wood . The sights changed to a four distance (100, 200, 300 and 400 m) fixed type, and the fire selector was again at the right side, to be activated with the thumb. A lock for a telescopic shight was also added.

The Model E

Model C with plastic replacing the wooden parts, and a spinning rear sight, like the G-3. With plastic magazines, just a handful of them were made, with no significance. 7.62 NATO

The L Series

Using plastic, the Model E was developed to fire the .223 cartridge, it suffered from plastic weaknesses problems as the plastic parts weren't as tough as their wooden ancestors, and the unrifled (fluted) chamber made it not as reliable as the Model C.
    It was adopted in 1980, in the versions L (depicted) and LC (with folding stock).

History

1948: The CETME (Centro de Estudios Tecnicos de Materiales Especiales - Special Materials Technical Studies Center) is conceived, as a medium to counter the effects that the international isolation was having on the army.
    1949: The CETME is created.
    1952: The demonstrations begin in Spain and Germany
    1956: The manufacturing of the Modelo A begins.
    1957: Germany adopts the CETME assault rifle. The Spanish Army adopts the CETME assault rifle.
    1958: The manufacturing of the Model B begins. The Navy and the Air Force adopt the CETME assault rifle.
    1959: The first joint-development accord with Germany is signed.
    1962: The second joint-development accord with Germany is signed.
    1964: The 7'62x51mm NATO cartridge is adopted by the Spanish Armed Forces. The manufacturing of the Model C begins.
    1966: The development of the Model L begins.
    1976: The manufacturing of the Model C stops.
    1980: The development of the Model L finishes.
    1982: The first AMELI prototypes are finished.
    1984: The first batches of the Model L and LC are produced.
    1985: The first contract of 600 AMELIs for the British Army is signed.
    1996: The first M-16 begin to appear in special units, as an evaluation.
    1997: 100,000 M-16 are purchased to replace the Model L. That's the End of the Story...

Best.
  • Options
    vicg1vicg1 Member Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would be the Cetme in question is not an original... What type is it Ken?
  • Options
    heavyironheavyiron Member Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hi Ken,

I have always used 7.62 Nato rounds in my Cetme. I think with the delayed roller blow back action on the Cetme, it would adequately handle the 308. To avoid a safety issue, I would probably try to use the 7.62 as much possible in this rifle.

Here are some links that may help.

http://www.surplusrifle.com/shooting2006/308vs762nato/index.asp

http://www.surplusrifle.com/cetme/index.asp

Opinions will vary.

Regards,

Heavyiron
  • Options
    KenthetoolmanKenthetoolman Member Posts: 839 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote: I would be the Cetme in question is not an original... What type is it Ken?
    It is a century arms rebuild if that helps.
  • Options
    vicg1vicg1 Member Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Kenthetoolman
    quote: I would be the Cetme in question is not an original... What type is it Ken?
    It is a century arms rebuild if that helps.

It should be fine with either. Most were stamped "308" anyway. Give it a once over, make sure it cocks fine as some were hard to charge because of incorrect cocking tube length (I think that's the reason, an expert will probably chime in). Shoot away with surplus 762x51 as it's cheaper usually anyway but I wouldn't be scared of 308 rounds either!