In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Aluma-Hyde II and tape

fastcarsgofastfastcarsgofast Member Posts: 7,179
edited June 2009 in Ask the Experts
Is it OK to use painter's or masking tape when applying Aluma-Hyde II, or will it cause the tape to stick to the gun?

Comments

• Options
    drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,545 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    AHII takes a bit (a week or so) to fully cure. Thinking you would be ok with tape.

What are you taping off?

Edited to add, make sure you let it fully cure (a week) before trying to touch anything up. I learned the hard way and had to completely strip it off one of my ak's and complete re-do it.

Regarding taping over the pin holes etc. I would tape off, spray, let air dry a little bit (couple 5 10 minutes) then remove the tape. Wouldn't let that fully cure as it might be hard to get the tape off. AHII is basically an epoxy finish. Not sure what would happen if if fully cured over the tape..
  • Options
    260260 Member Posts: 1,134
    edited November -1
    done it many times. like was said, allow it to cure first.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    So I need to let it cure before removing the tape?

Also I'm going to refinish some old shotguns and don't want any of the finish to get inside of some of the small pin holes and screw holes in the receiver.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    i guess i do not understand. what are you wanting to do.
    on some firearms, say a marlin 60, i hot blue the barrel and aluma hyde the receiver. the pins and all are blued
    with the barrel?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I'm going to us the aluma hyde II on the receiver but do not want to gum up the threads or pin holes so that the pins and screws don't fit properly.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    ido not see a problem,like i said, done it many times. follow the instructions.