In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Revolver Problem

old45guyold45guy Member Posts: 90 ✭✭
edited June 2009 in Ask the Experts
I have a colt 45 i bought new about 3 months ago. I shot it yesterday with reloaded ammo I bought and some of the ammo was getting stuck into the cylinder after i shot the gun. Sometimes it would be 1 case stuck sometimes it would be up to 3. I have never had this problem before but i have only shot the gun 300 rounds and never with reloads. Do you think it is the ammo or the cylinder. And any advice? thanks guys you are the best

Comments

• Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You need to tell us what model gun you have. We need to see the ammo you are using. We need to see close-ups of the holes in the cylinder.

Neal
  • Options
    glabrayglabray Member Posts: 679 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think your problem is summed up in your post: "Reloads I bought" and "I never had this problem before." It sounds like the reloaded ammo is the problem and it is likely they are too hot for your gun.
  • Options
    RCrosbyRCrosby Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    +1 the last 2 posts!
    Like the man said; more info and good pictures to help zero in on what the problem is, BUT, until you know for sure, I wouldn't fire any more of the reloads! If they're too hot that could account for the problem you decribe and could do serious damage to you and your gun.
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Some cases will expand when the rounds are fired, and that can lead to difficult extraction. Usually this happens with hotter/magnum type rounds.

If the gun is otherwise OK, that's a likely culprit here.

As another possible contributing issue, dirty chambers can contribute to cases sticking. Scrub with your favorite solvent and a brass brush to clean.
  • Options
    ElMuertoMonkeyElMuertoMonkey Member Posts: 12,898
    edited November -1
    It's probably the ammo.
  • Options
    Henry0ReillyHenry0Reilly Member Posts: 10,878 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had a similar issue. A man sold me cast semi-wadcutters loaded to pressures for jacketed bullets. The cases stuck.

My advice: buy a 45 colt rifle to shoot up the rest of the ammo. [:D]
    I used to recruit for the NRA until they sold us down the river (again!) in Heller v. DC. See my auctions (if any) under username henryreilly