In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Moly or Graphite on bullet molds

victorj19victorj19 Member Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭
edited June 2009 in Ask the Experts
Should I smoke my new bullet molds or would spraying with moly or graphite (a lube for locks) work better?

Just looking for a better way.[:)]

Comments

• Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,369 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Best thing I have seen was NEI mould prep, which I think is graphite in an alcohol base. The Midway spray mould prep goes on too thick. Good for anti static on plastic powder scale pans, funnels, and measure hoppers, though.
  • Options
    260260 Member Posts: 1,134
    edited November -1
    i clean my moulds with laquer thinner then just spray with a release agent and start casting.after i heat them up of course.
  • Options
    dandak1dandak1 Member Posts: 450 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am with hawk carse..I use mold prep. Works great! After a casting session I re-apply it to the cavities and the bottom pf the sprue plate.
  • Options
    brier-49brier-49 Member Posts: 7,039 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have never used anything on my molds, close to 40 years casting.For new molds wash, dry and cast.On a used mold you picked up at a flea market you may need to clean it out with an eraser.
  • Options
    victorj19victorj19 Member Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thank you all for responding. You gave me some ideas. I have some sinker molds I can experiment with. I have lacquer thinner on hand to clean them with. I'll spray moly on one and spray the lock lube (alchohol & graphite) on the other. then I'll try a bullet mold if things look promising. I don't see a downside or anything unsafe so far.

It will be awhile before I can borrow a friends melting pot with the pour hole in the bottom, but I'll post the results.

I didn't know there was a release agent for casting. I'll have to look into that too.

Jim