In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

H&R Sportsman problems

JerryWJerryW Member Posts: 10 ✭✭
edited June 2009 in Ask the Experts
I have a Sportsman that I think is a 1938 vintage so it's been around. The hammer fails to cock when you pull it back unless you manually move the cylinder slightly. Trigger pull is very light. Also, it fails to fire on every shell. There also are fresh marks on the side of the cylinder at each groove in the side. Sorry if I'm not describing it totally accurate in the terms I'm using, but I'm wondering if these issues could be related, and would a good gunsmith be able to correct them at a reasonable cost considering the age of the pistol. Thank you for any advice.

Comments

• Options
    32 Magnum32 Magnum Member Posts: 820 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The "timing" on this piece is way out of wack - I would suspect either a very worn ratchet on the cylinder or a bent, worn out or broken "hand" and/or a very weak main spring and/or a worn out cylinder bolt. Your gun is basicly worn out. Parts for this early Model 1, probably variation #3 are very difficult to find and it is very difficult to find a modern gunsmith who is willing or able to work on these early Sportsman models. My suggestion is to retire the piece - the fix, if possible, is probably more costly than the value of the piece itself.
    Jim Hauff
    H&R Collector.