In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Hudson Bay Company Trade Gun -

Camelot43Camelot43 Member Posts: 118 ✭✭
edited June 2009 in Ask the Experts
Any experts on Trade Guns out there?

Looking for more information that was not provided in the Trade Guns of the Hudson Bay Company 1670-1970 book.

There is virtually no information on the actual makers for the HBC in this book.

This is what it is:

A percussion trade gun measuring 58" from end to end.
Stock Drop is 2 1/2"

Marked: Parker Field and Sons Co. 1849
Serpant on the other side

Barrel maked with a "CP" and a "V"

Any information on the history of the Parker Field and Sons Co. or the meaning of the CP and V markings would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Parker Field & Sons, is listed in my reference as being a well known firearms,( "sporting guns, rifles, pepperboxes"), manufacturing company. Located in London. In business between 1841 & 1882.

"CP" & "V" under a Crown, are Proof Marks used in the London England proof facility.

The business about the Trade Gun has me puzzled? Most of these these type guns would have come from manufacturers in Birmingham, who specialized in inexpensive, mass market, utility type guns, to be traded to the Indians. Hard for me to visualize Parker Field & Sons making Trade Muskets?