In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Appraisal on 1947 S&W M&P .38 Special

krunkkrunk Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
edited June 2009 in Ask the Experts
On the bottom of the grip it has S 988406 and inside the frame it has 78911. On the barrel it says: 38 S&W Special CTG.

Unfortunately, it does not have the original grips anymore, they had started to deteriorate. It has some cheap plastic grips now, but I wouldn't mind finding another set for this gun.

13297417-6d8f0bc4a788654f0af0b1143f.jpg

Mechanically the gun is sound. It times perfectly and there is no play in the trigger at all. I took it to a gun shop and they quoted me what seems to be much to low for it.

Idea's and thoughts? Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    RobinRobin Member Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Maybe it is just a poor picture but there appears to be significant damage to the original blue finish. Considering the original stocks are not serviceable, I would say you probably have a shooter that would probably fetch somewhere around $125.00. Recently I bought an older Chief's special in similar condition for $115.00. It is presently being re-blued.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The S & W, Military & Police was the standard U.S. police handgun for the post W W II era, circa 1940's - 1980's. There were millions? made. Being h**l for strong, most are still around. Unless you have one in brand new in the box condition, there isn't going to be any great collectors demand/value. Value wise, considering the condition of yours, I agree with Robin.
  • Options
    cussedemguncussedemgun Member Posts: 985 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    krunk,

Your gun is an early post-war 38 Military & Police (pre Model 10)

The square butt 4" version is most commonly found. Some were produced with special markings for the purchasing agency & these so marked will bring a premium. Your picture quality is too poor to evaluate the finish or markings.

The original stocks (checkered wood, small diamond & small silver medallion, magna style) are worth $30/$75 depending on condition.
    The stocks you took off the gun should stay with it regardless of their condition especially if they are numbered to match.(it all as a package has a history/story to tell)

Any Smith & Wesson in a modern popular caliber such as 38 Special & in good safe shooting shape should bring $200/$250. This figure is assuming mechanically sound & 50% original finish. For each 10% above the 50% add $10/$25. The closer to 100%, the faster the price goes up.

Jim
  • Options
    MOONEDMOONED Member Posts: 936 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    My opinion is the same as Jim's. Anytime you find an S&W in good mechanical condition, and hasn't totally lost all it's finish, has to be worth at least $200.00. In central Florida where I'm located, you will be hard-pressed to pay less than that for an S&W that's just a good shooter.

Aaron
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Because of poor photo quality it's hard to get a handle on the M & P. It appears to be in fairly "rough" condition, with surface pitting.

Where I come from the only person who would spring $250 for it, in that condition, would be the free lance pharmaceutical perp on MLK Blvd.
  • Options
    rhmc24rhmc24 Member Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I bought one made 1917 about 40% wth badly worn grips for $135. Estate had been trying to get $150 for it for several months.
  • Options
    MOONEDMOONED Member Posts: 936 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Rufe-
    I am not trying to step on your toes, only providing my input from the area where I am located. I do agree that condition is the obvious win/loose in the cost of ANY firearm. That said, without better pictures, true condition cannot be determined.

I have come to you with questions in the past and you have always provided VERY good detail and input. Just thought I'd reply back with my tail between my legs........ Nice to know you have an MLK where you are that has the same "quality" of locals.....