In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

16 gauge, European

interarmsinterarms Member Posts: 22 ✭✭
edited June 2009 in Ask the Experts
I was wondering if someone could clarify something about an item I just purchased. It is a Zastava 16ga. double barrel shotgun (side by side) & I am told that the European models take a different size shell (16 1/2" vs. 16 9/16" ?). Also, I am wondering about the quality of the gun. I am told it shoots just fine. I don't know the year since there are no markings regarding dates. Any information on this topic would be very much appreciated. Thanks, M.K.

Comments

• Options
    1fisher1fisher Member Posts: 1,012 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    You really need to take the gun to a gunsmith and have them check it with a chamber gauge. If it is a fairly new gun, it MAY have 2-3/4" chambers, or it is possible that someone MAY have lengthened the original chambers to 2-3/4" (this can be done fairly easily on a double gun.)
    Without a chamber gauge, there is no way of telling -- DO NOT shoot it until you are sure. A 2-3/4" shell might fit in a shorter chamber, but the case cannot open up fully and high pressures can result (bad for you and the gun).
    If you search around, there are suppliers of 2-1/2" shells for older European/British guns.
  • Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,976 ******
    edited November -1
    THE 16GA. ZATAVA'S I'VE SEEN ARE ALL 2 3/4" (STANDARD AMERICAN), LOOK AT THE BOTTOM OF THE BARRELS (REMOVE FROM THE ACTION) YOU SHOULD SEE "16/70"; THIS MEANS 16 GA. 70MM LENGHT (SAME AS 2 3/4")
  • Options
    bigbill0910bigbill0910 Member Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Let's go shoot it! Mike these guys know a lot about all the guns you collect and shoot.
  • Options
    interarmsinterarms Member Posts: 22 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thank you so much for the quick responses. I have another question to post. Is there anyway to tell how old the gun is? I have searched the internet & even written Zastava to see if they could shed some light on it. It appears to be pretty old, but in very good shape.