In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Winchester model 12 32"

lawsonzlawsonz Member Posts: 17 ✭✭
edited June 2009 in Ask the Experts
I have the chance to purchase a model 12 12gauge made in 1914 with a 32" barrel. I was wondering if the 32" barrel is a rarity and also does the early manufacture date, which I think is the first year for a 12 guage, make it any more desirable or worth more?

Comments

• Options
    Winchester 1912Winchester 1912 Member Posts: 528 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Good evening. The 32 inch barrel is somewhat of a rarity as it was a special order feature on the model 12. Being first year production for 12 gauges is an added point of interest although it probably won't raise the value very much. It's pretty much all about the condition of the firearm. Good luck on your purchase.
    -Mitch
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Would the 32" barrel raise the value of the gun any?
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Yes how much it depends on condition if well worn and just a shooter maybe 10% but if it was mint in the box with hang tag and papers then IMHO 25% . YMMV
  • Options
    duckhunterduckhunter Member Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Can you post a pic? Condition is most important on these old guns.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Don't have a pic as I haven't purchased the gun yet. The gun is in good working order, wood is in good shape, blueing is pretty much gone.
  • Options
    duckhunterduckhunter Member Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Have you checked the time??
  • Options
    edited November -1
    What do you mean?
  • Options
    Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I disagree that a 32-inch barrel was a "special" order feature. Instead, it was listed as an "optional" no cost feature, and one that is not all that rare. I have encountered many dozens of the pre-war Model 1912/12 12 gauge guns with 32-inch barrels. What is rare, is to find one with a solid rib.

A 32-inch barrel on a well worn gun adds precious little to the collector value, and 1914 is not a "first" year gun. Unless the serial number is 3-digits (or less), there will be no premium.
  • Options
    Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by lawsonz
    What do you mean?

What duckhunter is asking, is does the gun lock-up, fire, and release the slide properly.