In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

WEATHERBY 224 MAG

GREAT GRANDPAGREAT GRANDPA Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
edited July 2009 in Ask the Experts
HELLO I AM TRYING TO FIND OUT WHAT MY WEATHERBY MARK V VARMINTMASTER IN 224 MAGNUM IS WORTH. IT ALSO HAS A LYMANN SUPERTAGET SPOT SCOPE ON IT IT IS IN EXCELENT COND MADE IN GERMANY. THANKS FOR YOUR HELP

Comments

• Options
    AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You will occassionally see a Varmintmaster .224 on the auction side. That would give you an idea of it's worth. I paid just under 1,000 for mine several years ago and I'm sure it's considerably higher, now. If the rifle were mine and I was going to sell it, I'd list that Super Targetspot scope separately since there is a great deal of collector interest in scopes of that type.
  • Options
    robert smithrobert smith Member Posts: 183 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    a sporting goods store here has two or three boxes of .224 ammo that should be priced right if you need any. it is weatherby brand
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    GREAT GRANDPA,

Welcome to the Gunbroker Forums!

Your request for value needs to be accompanied by sharp, detailed photographs of your rifle. This is the best way to help determine a proper value.

Weatherby rifles have always been a semi-niche firearm. Not everyone likes the style or the proprietary cartridges for some reason. So the values can run a surprising range especially depending on the area of the country in which you are located. The .224 WBY Magnum cartridge is comparable to the .22-250 Rem. cartridge insofar as performance is concerned. The folks that have access to groundhogs, prairie dogs, coyotes and other related varmints would be a good market for this rifle.

I would definitely separate the scope from the rifle if you intend to sell both. The scope has it's own market and value which would hurt the value of the little Weatherby if combined. I get the impression from reading many of the comments here that most folks would rather put the scope of their choice on a rifle anyway. You'll realize a better profit from separating them.

I paid way less that $1,000 for mine in excellent condition. But after checking some listings around the internet, the prices seem to have jumped. One listed for $2200.00 and the other was $3200.00 both in best condition. However, neither of these have sold so the prices are really meaningless until someone pays for the rifle. The newest version, synthetic stocked Weatherbys are retailing in the $1500.00 ballpark currently but they are in common varmint chambers, not the .224 WBY Magnum.

Best.