In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Glock 17 vs. Sig 226

ENBLOCENBLOC Member Posts: 327 ✭✭
edited July 2009 in Ask the Experts
Which do you prefer for full size service automatic in 9 x 19? Pros & cons for everday carry. Thx!

Comments

• Options
    NwcidNwcid Member Posts: 10,674
    edited November -1
    Pick the one that fits and feels best/most natural in YOUR hand.
  • Options
    ern98ern98 Member Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I went with the Glock 22 because of exactly the reason Nwcid said; it felt best to me. The first time I shot a Glock 19 all the rounds went in the black like I had been shooting it for years. Other friends have bought the Sig for the same reasons. If you can arrange it do a comparison shoot at an indoor range. My local ranges have both for rent whichs makes it easy around here for folks to try them. Good luck with whichever you pick....
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by ENBLOC
    Which do you prefer for full size service automatic in 9 x 19? Pros & cons for everday carry. Thx!

Neither one of those would be my personal first choice for a service type 9x19 (I like a CZ-75).

Given the constraints of the question, If I had to carry it as a service/duty auto (the term implies external holster carry), I'd pick the SIG. I like the trigger better, and I also prefer the traditional double-action with decocker over the Glock "safe action".

If you're talking CONCEALED carry, again, neither one would be my top choice (and in fact both models are available as shorter versions a bit more suited to concealed carry). In THAT case, I'd still *probably* pick the SIG, but the Glock would merit serious consideration as its lighter, and a tiny bit thinner than the SIG.

Note that there is no "right" answer here. Both guns are highly reliable and durable service guns, and you really can't go wrong with either one.

Those are MY preferences, based on my experiences, hand shape/size, and how I feel at the moment.

Whichever one YOU like better is the better choice.

I'd add that this is not quite as simple as which one fits your hand better (though that is probably most of it). Since the two have totally different types of actions (noted above), that could influence your decision.

I think ern98 has it right. Both guns are common enough that you could probably try to both and just see which you liked better.

Factors to consider, apart from how it feels in your hand (which is probably most of it), are the action type (ie are you comfortable with the Glock no external safety action?), weight, overall size, and COST.
  • Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    As has been said, pick the one that feels and points best, and shoots better for you, as the trigger system is different for them. I own both and for my hands I like the Glock 19 better for carry, as it's more compact and doesn't give up anything to the others.
    I shoot both in matches just to keep in some practice with them.
  • Options
    TxsTxs Member Posts: 18,801
    edited November -1
    I argue against the often heard, 'whichever gun feels better in your hand' advice.

You should pick the gun that, in a head-head accuracy, speed on target and speed of recovery comparison performs best in your hand. The 'feel good' part will come along later.

I've been handed two styles of pistols for comparison and confidently predicted which I'd end up with based upon feel, slide length, etc. but turned around and proved myself wrong.

Get them on a range with plenty of ammunition and a timer, then wring them out. You'll know by the end of the day which one is the right gun.
  • Options
    kshockkshock Member Posts: 59 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have carried both and I prefer the Sig. I think it is a better quality gun and I am uncomfortable with the striker fired/polymer frame concept. Don't like the gun to have the ability to fire out of battery (Google Catastophic failure- quite interesting reading). I will say I never had a problem with either gun and they both shoot well for me so it is mostly personal preference.
  • Options
    Old hickoryOld hickory Member Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My Glock 23(.40) worked the first time and every time - - but I went back to a 1911 and PPK because they felt better in my hand. If my (underpowerd) PPK gets me killed I'll die happy!
  • Options
    MooseyardMooseyard Member Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've carried both the SIG 220 and the Glock 21. They are the 45 ACP versions of the guns you are looking at. I would MUCH rather carry the SIG. It has proven to be more accurate and MUCH more reliable than my Glock. The CZ is a great gun, but not practical for duty due to the lack of holster choices.
  • Options
    haroldchrismeyerharoldchrismeyer Member Posts: 2,213
    edited November -1
    If you pull the trigger, and nothing happens because of a hard primer, or a primer not quite seated, and you have a Sig, you just pull the trigger again. With the Glock you have to rack the slide before it will strike the primer again. Other than that, it is just which one you prefer to shoot. I have never been able to adjust to the Glock, but know many people that love them.
  • Options
    MooseyardMooseyard Member Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote]Originally posted by haroldchrismeyer
    If you pull the trigger, and nothing happens because of a hard primer, or a primer not quite seated, and you have a Sig, you just pull the trigger again. With the Glock you have to rack the slide before it will strike the primer again. Other than that, it is just which one you prefer to shoot. I have never been able to adjust to the Glock, but know many people that love them.
    [/quote]

Good point, but not really useful in this instance because he is talking about a service weapon. In a gunfight, you should never try to get a second strike on the primer. Tap,Rack,Roll will solve the problem most of the time. The chances of a modern cartridge that will fire on the second strike, but not the first are very small. A second strike at a bad cartridge is not tactically sound.