In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

AMT BackUp - One Last Time ;-)

CraigTeeCraigTee Member Posts: 14 ✭✭
edited July 2009 in Ask the Experts
There was a recent discussion on the OMC/AMT BackUp recently.

I just had to share this auction on one:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=132175136

It's worth reading through. [:)]

I hope I'm not violating forum rules by posting a URL for an auction. I have no monetary interest in that auction. It is not mine nor do I even know the gentleman offering it. It's meant to offer a small piece of history on these little guns.

Craig

Comments

• Options
    Old hickoryOld hickory Member Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My AMT Backup worked reliably but was just too darn heavy.
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Cool. . . I'd bid, but what would I do with a $1000 AMT? [;)]

I should note that because of its historical association and provenance (its the personal model of the designer, with serial #1, and documentation) this particular gun is the very textbook definition of a C&R.

Most of the value of this gun comes from its historical association (and the auction price proves it).

You don't need an advisory letter from the BATFE for it to be true.
  • Options
    CS8161CS8161 Member Posts: 13,595 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The seller states: Once these guns are gone (and almost all of them are gone), you will never see anything like this again. Having the opportunity to buy the number one production pistol from a major manufacturer that was known for quality and innovation is unheard of! Some museum should get this

But of course he's too greedy to donate it to a museum...he'd rather have the cash![xx(]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by CraigTee
    There was a recent discussion on the OMC/AMT BackUp recently.

I just re-read my original post and had to laugh...
    it's apparent that I was a bit reduntantly redundant apparently.... [:D]

I just have to wonder what a serial "number one" AMT BackUp will be worth 20 or 30 years down the road?

First of all, OMC was making the BackUp prior to AMT placing their name on the pistol, OMC designed it. Second, AMT is not well known for quality control nor customer service, it has a rather cult following who have either experienced the "good ones" or learned how to make a "bad one" good.

On the flip side... the OMC BackUp WAS the smallest 380 of it's time (still?), solid SS construction, US made, and (if you got a good one) was appreciated by the owner. (Except for: changing mags in a hurry and breakdown)

I still own one of these and have no plans on selling it. However, you also won't see my ID on the bidders list for that "BackUp Number One".
    [8D]

Chris... I'm kinda hoping that the son is selling off dad's guns to support the widow.

Take care all! :)
    Craig
  • Options
    partisanpartisan Member Posts: 6,414
    edited November -1
    The AMT .380 is NOT the smallest .380 available. Kel-Tec and now Ruger make .380's that are smaller, lighter, and they actually function properly, something the AMT isn't known for!!!
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's interesting that when Harry passed away in the 90's, his family set up a sale of his personal guns, at the San Gabeirl Valley Gun Club. It was held in a building near the shotgun range. I was tapped out so didn't even bother going. Folks who went said they were asking big bucks for his stuff. Guess this one on the auction was one of the ones that didn't sell. Being that the backup's were sold under at least two other names over the years, I wonder how many other number 1's are floating around out there?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by partisan
    The AMT .380 is NOT the smallest .380 available. Kel-Tec and now Ruger make .380's that are smaller, lighter, and they actually function properly, something the AMT isn't known for!!!

Thanks partisan. That's why I put a question mark after the "(still?)" in that post. I'm behind my times on the 380s. [:)]

Ya know... it really makes me kinda sad that your BackUp never worked well for you. When you DO have one that works, they're really sweet little pistols. Oh well... if we ever meet in person, I'll let you shoot mine. They do handle really nice. I LIKE the additional weight the stainless steel gives them, but that's personal preference. I'm also a fan of the old Smith SS semi's and the N Frame sixers. [8D]

Take care! :)
    Craig
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Anyone wanna bet that this $1500+ AMT #1 gun jams on every single shot? [}:)]

(OK now I'm just being mean!).

The Kel Tec and its Ruger clone are the LIGHTEST .380s on the market right now, but actually no longer the smallest (see below). I'm pretty sure the AMT was both the smallest and the lightest when it was introduced.

If you want a small metal freme .380 that actually works, Magnum research has just come out with a gun it calls the "micro eagle" trying to capitalize on the brand name of the famous Israeli Desert Eagle.

The "micro-eagle" is in fact a copy of the recent Czech "Kevin" pistol, and looks like a chopped-down metal frame Kel-Tec, though the internal operation is different. The Czech pistols may not be imported into the USA for legal reasons.

Be VERY careful where you put your support hand when shooting this gun!

mde_p3at3.jpg

Edit: Craig, if you like the Colt Mustang, you might like this new Sig version, build using Colt's old machining. (Sig on top, Colt on bottom):
    Sig_238__Colt_Mustang_DSCN1439.jpg?t=1246480303
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by beantownshootah

Be VERY careful where you put your support hand when shooting this gun!

Supporting hand? I don't see a lot of room for the shooting hand! [:D]

Cute little pistol BTS! Hadn't seen one of those b4. Brings back memories of the 70's and "Saturday Night Specials".

Kel Tec seems to enjoy an AMT-like reputation. If you get a good one, you're in... otherwise you hate them. Rugers also seem to be a bit of a hit or miss... but not as bad as the Kel Tecs. I'm a little surprised by the acceptance of the CZ pistols in the USA. Those and the EAA imports seem to have garnered quite a following.

Now... am I the ONLY one who like the feel of steel in a pistol? I'm NOT a fan of the new polymers and never even much cared for the alloy frames. I like the heft of steel and the feeling of longevity of stainless (if cared for). The ONLY thing I don't care for is the polishing effects carrying has on frosted SS. [:(]

Now... here's my FAVORITE AMT BackUp!
    (or.... what the BackUp SHOULD have been!) [:D]
    ColtSSMustang.jpg
    (photo shamelessly stolen from an open Colt Mustang auction)

Best Wishes!
    Craig

Edit: wow..... I hadn't heard about the Sig. The Mustang's classic lines ARE there... just buried a bit. Sig needs to put out an all SS model that I can slap a set of Mustang grips onto. Don't like those aluminum grips. Thanks again BTS. I'm going to be watching that Sig til the prices come down a bit.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Ok... since this will be the 10th and last post, I just hafta post a pic of a real WORKING BackUp! [:D]

Here's mine:
    AMTOMC_BackUp380_Larger.jpg
    Bought it new in the 70s, carried it for a LOT of years, and still carry it on occasion. It's never given me any problems and just swallowed anything I've fed it over the years. Can't ask for more than that. Maybe it was the weather in El Monte that made the OMCs a better product... the AMTs were made in Covina and Irwindale. [:D]

Best wishes all!
    Craig
    PS Thanks again BTS... that info you shared on the Sig is probably going to end up costing me.... [:)]