In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Mossberg 500 slugs?

JoeFazJoeFaz Member Posts: 190 ✭✭✭
edited January 2010 in Ask the Experts
I just acquired a Mossberg 500 12ga/3". It has two barrels, a short one with no chokes, and a long one with a vented rib and three choke choices; Mod/Full/Imp Cyl. Question: Can I shoot slugs out of the long barrel with either/any of the chokes in? I don't know a heck of a lot about slugs-vs-chokes, but I understand the function of them with loose shot.
Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    robert smithrobert smith Member Posts: 183 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    you can shoot slugs out of either barrel with any choke. best results are usually obtained from barrels with the least amount of choke. in this case your improved cylinder in the long barrel or use the short barrel with no choke.
  • Options
    zimmdenzimmden Member Posts: 237 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Shoot Foster type slugs not the sabotted ones in the barrel with chokes. Sabots are designed for rifled barrels. Double check your shorter barrel as it might be rifled. If not, it should have the choke stamped on the left side near the receiver.
  • Options
    MossbergboogieMossbergboogie Member Posts: 12,211
    edited November -1
    With a smooth bore you can shoot any slug you like. With a rifled bore you can not use fosters slugs.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks, all. Neither barrel is rifled. I was just concerned that the slight "pinch down" at the muzzle might somehow interfer with the slug. So the least amount of choke in the long barrel I'm good to go with rifled slugs. I don't have an issue with the short barrel as it is smooth and cylinder bore.
  • Options
    iwannausernameiwannausername Member Posts: 7,131
    edited November -1
    You MUST have some sort of choke in the barrel w/ removable chokes!!!

That said, I'd try both barrels and see which does better for you. For the longer barrel, try the improved cylinder and modified chokes.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by iwannausername

That said, I'd try both barrels and see which does better for you. For the longer barrel, try the improved cylinder and modified chokes.

Oh yeah, I know that. I was told in no uncertain terms to keep a choke of some kind in. Actually I have no idea why, but he was adamant about it. So there ya go.[;)]
  • Options
    MossbergboogieMossbergboogie Member Posts: 12,211
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by JoeFaz
    quote:Originally posted by iwannausername

Oh yeah, I know that. I was told in no uncertain terms to keep a choke of some kind in. Actually I have no idea why, but he was adamant about it. So there ya go.[;)]

Because you have a shotgun that uses a screw in accu choke tube barrel, discharge without a choke in could cause damage to the gun and you.