In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

THE PERFECT GUN

BamavolBamavol Member Posts: 966 ✭✭✭✭
edited January 2010 in Ask the Experts
I have owned about 40 guns, mostly hand guns, both revolvers and autos. I really liked everyone when first bought. However over time I seem to find some fault, not necessarily a defect, but at some point it becomes less than perfect. Then I lust for a new gun only to repeat the cycle. ( Fortunately I can control this problem with women.) Anyone else have this problem? And, What is your perfect or near perfect gun?

Comments

• Options
    bluechipxbluechipx Member Posts: 9 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    My perfect gun? I just bought a 6ppc and it is supposed to be super accurate. Custom painted stock and every trick. Super light jewel trigger and overall a real eye catcher. I have been showing it to friends and everytime I open the gun case, I hear "wow". At this point,I am expecting to put every bullet through the same hole until it starts to get boring. So, I guess until I shoot it, it will be my "perfect gun". After I actually do shoot a group, and reality sets in and the gun is retired to the back corner of a gun case, never to be used again, it will stop being my perfect gun I guess.
  • Options
    coledigger4coledigger4 Member Posts: 826 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    No such thing.
  • Options
    yellowdog52yellowdog52 Member Posts: 53 ✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    RtWngExtrmstRtWngExtrmst Member Posts: 7,456
    edited November -1
    There are 2 perfect guns. The one you used to have and the one you're going to get next.
  • Options
    footlongfootlong Member Posts: 8,009
    edited November -1
    Been persuing the 'perfect' one here on GB for years. Hell. Theyre all perfect[:D]
  • Options
    gary wraygary wray Member Posts: 4,663
    edited November -1
    Bamavol...I consider my guns just like I consider my kids and grandkids...I love them all, big and small. I don't own, or ever have owned, a "bad" or "imperfect" gun. They all have a use and, like my family, they make me feel better just being around them! When I am "down" I grab one to clean it or shoot it or just have a good time with it...kinda like grandkids! So, no, don't consider any one of my gun collection less than perfect as they all give me pleasure. But like you, I continue to repeat the cycle of buying (but hardly ever selling). Years ago when I had three young kids and little $, I took a third job just so I could save some $ to buy guns. When my wife found out what I was doing she raised hell when I came home with a hard earned gun. I quickly learned that I should by guns in twos as then I was only to catch "hell" once so 50% of "hell" was better than 100%. Over the years the wife, however, became more "imperfect" so we solved that problem...and continued to expand the collection! My most perfect gun? The last one I bought! Good shooting!
  • Options
    Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,493 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The nearest thing to a perfect handgun, for me, is the FNP-45, but I'd go without it before I'd give up a 1911.
    Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
  • Options
    TWalkerTWalker Member Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    These are as close to perfection as you can get:
    Savage 1899 Takedown Model in 250/3000
    Marlin 1895 .45/70 with straight stock
    Colt 1911 .45 auto
    Colt .45 Peacemaker Single Action
    M1 Garand
    1898 Mauser
    Colt Woodsman
    Mannlicher Schnauder 6.5 Carbine
    Model 70 Winchester (Pre-64)in .375 H&H Magnum
    Colt Detective Special
    Ruger Bearcat (Old Model)
    S&W Model 29-2 .44 Magnum
    Weatherby Mark V Custom (German)
    Remington 870 Wingmaster
    Winchester Model 12
    Browning Superposed
    Colt Python .357 4 inch Royal Blue
    Remington Nylon 66
    Browning A-5
  • Options
    bluechipxbluechipx Member Posts: 9 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've got an easier question to answer. "What's the worst gun I've ever owned?" I have a J.C. Higgins 20 Ga. pump shotgun that is so bad that if an intruder ever broke into my home at night and all I had was that gun and a box of shells, it would be a tough decision to ether 'try' to use the gun to actually shoot or use the gun as a club. Maybe I could hold my hand over the brand and try to bluff him and hope he didn't know much about guns.
  • Options
    BamavolBamavol Member Posts: 966 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for your replies. All good.
    The worst thing is that I look back at a gun that I sold and remember the good. Then I want it back. Oh well, I'm snowed in and can only ponder the profound mysteries of life.
  • Options
    asphalt cowboyasphalt cowboy Member Posts: 8,904 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    For me it's the Monson Mass Dan Wesson 15-2 4" VH.
    I'm on my third one now. The first was foolishly traded in a moment of lust. I still have the Oberndorf Sporter, but I'll never again have That 15-2.
    The second was a Pistol-Pak that was stolen by a so-called friend. The gun never showed up, but I did exact a pound of flesh.
    This third one, oddly enough, has the same characteristic the other two had. I just can't miss with it.