In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

harrington and richardson revolver

wildman357wildman357 Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
edited January 2010 in Ask the Experts
hello,I have a harrington and richardson 5 shot revolver. the patent was oct 4,1887. it is a top break, auto eject, double action. the barrel is apx 3 1/4 inches long. the number on the auto eject and the cylinder match, it is 393. If I remove the cylinder and look under where the back site is, there is another number #4393(possibly 4398, hard to read.) I believe it is a .32 caliber, but am not sure. If anyone can give me any info that would be great. also, if it is a .32, I am wondering if I can shoot .32 autos and or .32 magnums out of it. Thanks for the help.

Comments

• Options
    robert smithrobert smith Member Posts: 183 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    most likely caliber is .32 s&w . do not attempt to fire .32 auto or .32 magnum.
  • Options
    wildman357wildman357 Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    what is the difference between the H&R .32 and the S&W .32?
  • Options
    lcdrdanrlcdrdanr Member Posts: 439 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Originally there was a S&W 32 round, now commonly referred to as the .32 S&W (short). Lengthening the case resulted in the .32 S&W long. Most pistols that accept a .32 S&W Long will also chamber and shoot a .32 S&W short since it is the same case, just a fraction of an inch longer. This is very similar to the .38 Special and the .357 Magnum.

Then, about 35 years ago, Harrington and Richardson lengthend the .32 S&W long by another 1/4 inch and created the .32 H&R Magnum. The .32 H&R Magnum should not chamber in a .32 S&W Long or .32 S&W Short and if it by some chance does, should never, ever be fired in a gun chambered so since the pressures from a .32 H&R Mag are significantly higher.

I suspect what you have is a .32 S&W long but that's just a guess, please don't shoot it until you have had someone confirm what it fires. And, do not try to fit a .32 H&R in the chamber or fire it. Really bad things could happen.

Dan R
  • Options
    32 Magnum32 Magnum Member Posts: 820 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    With the specifications you mentioned and the single Patent date on the barrel rib - assuming it has an exposed hammer - it is either a 1st Model Auto Ejecting 2nd Variation or a 2nd Model 1st Variation Auto Ejecting revolver - and in 5 shot is chambered for the .38 S&W (not the .38 S&W Special) round. The difference between the 1 Model and the 2nd Model will be signified by the type of grip panels - earlier have scroll work design molded in and the later will have the "Target" logo molded in the top of the grip. Your piece should also have a push button latch hold open (the subject of that patent) - the full serial number was always stamped under the top strap. The serial number you state indicates it should be a 1st Mod. 2nd Var. These were made between 1887 and 1889 - that serial falls about in the middle of the observed ranges for this Mod and Var.
    These pieces were hand fitted before final finish and final assembly and all of the parts, including the grip panels will have some part of the serial number stamped or scratched (in the case of the grip panels) onto it.
    Jim Hauff
    H&R Collector