In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Beretta 84BB - Won't fire

MaaloxMaalox Member Posts: 5,160 ✭✭✭
edited January 2010 in Ask the Experts
I have a Beretta 84BB (,380) purchased in the late eighties. This is a gun I don't shoot much and (I thought) have taken good care of. I haven't taken it to the range in at least 7 years, maybe 10. Well, I took it to the range yesterday and it would not fire. I tried a couple different rounds and both mags. The rounds fired in another .380. Funny thing is, I purchased a used .380 a couple weeks ago and that was the one I was concerned about but it fired fine.

I am assuming the firing pin mechanism is locked up with gunk (or rust). Does this sound right? Does anyone know how to remove the pin from the slide and check it out? Is this something I can do myself or should I take it to a gunsmith?
Regards, MAALOX

Comments

• Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    Strip the pistol and with the slide removed turn it upside down so that you are looking at the inside. There is a pin that secures the extractor and it's spring as well as the firing pin and it's spring. Drive this pin out from inside the slide so that the pin exits through the top. When the extractor lug clears the firing pin the firing pin should come right out. You may have a broken firing pin spring.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sometimes if you lube guns with WD 40 or similar products they have a tendency to gunk up. Before removing the firing pin try blasting the innards with one of the high pressure aerosol solvents. Wear gloves and eye protection, and do it outside to be safe. Some of them are pretty toxic.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by rufe-snow
    Sometimes if you lube guns with WD 40 or similar products they have a tendency to gunk up. Before removing the firing pin try blasting the innards with one of the high pressure aerosol solvents. Wear gloves and eye protection, and do it outside to be safe. Some of them are pretty toxic.

I have only cleaned this gun with Hoppes No.9. But it has been many years since it was last used and cleaned so it could be gunked up. I will just take it down and see what it looks like.
    Regards, MAALOX
  • Options
    5mmgunguy5mmgunguy Member Posts: 3,853
    edited November -1
    I have a Beretta 84 also...I looked at mine, question can you push on the exposed firing pin. where the hammer strikes it and get movement...I did it with my gun assembled...because of all the disconnect stuff. Not sure its necessary to try assembled but assembled the rear of the firing pin stikes out the back a little and moves forward when pushed on...I used a brass punch. Moves easily.
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Sounds like Rufe Snow has most likely identified trouble if you ever sprayed it with WD 40 [:(!][V][:(]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Just took it apart. The spring is not broken, it was just gunked up.

I took the first pin out and the extractor came out. I could see the pin and spring. The spring would move but the pin wouldn't. Shot some CLP in there and it loosened up. I had to take out a roll pin that goes from side to side of the slide then rotate the firing pin to get out the firing pin and spring. Then a larger pin with a small spring dropped put of the bottom of the slide.

I am soaking the parts and will clean them up. Then I will see if I can get it all back together. That may be a challenge!

5mmgunguy. It would not move at first. I put the CLP in there and then started moving it back and forth. After a while it loosened up.
    Regards, MAALOX
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Maalox sounds like you solved the problem.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I have it back together. No easy task(for me anyway). I have one concern though. I can push on the back of the firing pin and it moves easily and springs back. But, when I Push it in, the tip doesn't seem to protrude into the chamber. Maybe when the hammer strikes it it goes into the chamber far enough to hit the primer. I will take it to the range tomorrow and give it a go.

Thanks for the advice guys.
    Regards, MAALOX
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Try the old wooden pencil test. Cock the pistol, point it at the ceiling. Put a wooden pencil in the barrel, pull the trigger. If the firing pin isn't broken and has been correctly reassembled, the force of it hitting the pencil will cause the pencil to be ejected from the barrel.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    If you don't have the barrel and slide on the gun it won't...part of all the safety stuff...saying it another way...the firing pin will not come out the front of the slide if is not to full battery. (completely closed). Rufesnow has the easy check for you before you go to the range.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Used the eraser end and it popped it up not completely out of the barrel, but it did move the pencil a couple inches. Will stop by the range one night after work and let y'all know.

Thanks all for your help
    Regards, MAALOX