In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

What is considered a firearm?

jmarinkov5267jmarinkov5267 Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
edited January 2010 in Ask the Experts
I was just wondering if the removable barrels and forends for the TC Encore are actually considered and firearm. They appear to me to be just parts, in that light would they need to be shipped to an FFL dealer. Thanks for your help. I also was wondering what the value of two guns I have might be. I have a winchester 94, serial number indicates a manufacture date of 1890-1895. It is in great condition with only slight wear marks. I also have a K98 mauser from 1916 with all macthing serial numbers.

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There are parts of the world where ANY gun part is considered a firearm (these are places that heavily restrict or prohibit private ownership of guns).

But in the USA only the receiver is considered the firearm.

A barrel is just a machine part, and in general you can buy, sell, and ship them all you like with no license, paperwork, or legal restriction. There should be no problem having one shipped right to your door.

As to the other question about gun values, I'll leave the estimation of value to others, but if you want a realistic appraisal, you'll have to post some good pictures of the guns. Directions on how to do that can be found in the "sticky" thread at the top of the ask the Experts page.
  • Options
    cbxjeffcbxjeff Member Posts: 17,440 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    BATF considers the lower receiver the firearm. Everything else is just parts. I'll check on the values but someone will probably beat me to it.
    It's too late for me, save yourself.
  • Options
    5mmgunguy5mmgunguy Member Posts: 3,853
    edited November -1
    Welcome to the forum. I think beantown has answered the question regarding value. You need pictures, there is an item at the front of this forum that talks about posting pictures. Good to have you on the forum.
  • Options
    NwcidNwcid Member Posts: 10,674
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by cbxjeff
    BATF considers the lower receiver the firearm. Everything else is just parts. I'll check on the values but someone will probably beat me to it.

What about guns like FAL's, Ruger Mark pistols, HK rifles that the upper is serial numbered part? How about guns that neither have an upper or lower receiver like the majority of guns out there like M14, Garand, SKS, AK, lets not forget things like Remington 700, WInchester 70's, Ruger 10/22, ect with a huge list?

The firearm is the part of the firearm that the maker decides is the frame/receiver of the gun and places the serial number on it. I will agree that the majority of pistols the frame (could be called a lower) is the serial numbered part. On rifles the AR-15 is one of the few that is numbered on the lower
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    You have gotten some very good information however there are exceptions Usually the part with the complete serial number is Considered by BATFE the firearm and on pistols the grip frame or receiver is this part but for the Ruger 22 Semi auto the barrel assembly is considered the FIREARM.