In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

722 sight ???

gumbydamnitgumbydamnit Member Posts: 793 ✭✭
edited February 2010 in Ask the Experts
I don't believe these to be original to this rifle, but maybe on the later ones they went to this set up. These look like the early 700 sights. Anybody know for sure??? I know it might be a little pricey but I want one to match my 222 rem, but my sight is like the ones for the 721. Thanks for your time.............TOM

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=155306162

Comments

• Options
    5mmgunguy5mmgunguy Member Posts: 3,853
    edited November -1
    We need nononsense...he would know.
  • Options
    MadmanMadman Member Posts: 601 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Gumby;
    Wrong sling swivels, never had em. Sights appear as my '52 issue. Little pricey. Nononsense will confirm...

Paul
    Mountain Magic Gunsmithing
  • Options
    47studebaker47studebaker Member Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    722 257 has "cheap pressed steel" with a simple "blade" to raise it. Front looks ok.
  • Options
    idahoduckeridahoducker Member Posts: 740 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm pretty certain the late 721/722's sported the sights that were used on the 700.
  • Options
    AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The rear sight has been removed from the 1961 722 .222 Magnum in my collection. The 1952 .222 Remington that sits next to it has the stamped sheet steel rear sight dove tailed into a barrel boss. My .222 Magnum has no dove tail and no barrel boss but is drilled and tapped. So it took a different sight and the 700 sight was probably the one.
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There has to be a different selection according to grades. My 722 (1956) in .257 Roberts has a short dovetailed base with a flip down rear sight. Sight blade has white markings/arrows on it to assist the shooter in picking an aimpoint. The dovetail itself sits in a "bump" (bulge) in the barrel. My dads old .722 (1950) had the cheapest type sight Remington ever put on a rifle. The classic blade bent up from a split bar, attached hard and sprung down. Held at elevation by a vertically stepped bar. Of course no markings on the elevation points.

Edit:

Here's a not-so-close pic of a 721 on the auction side that looks like my dads rear sight:
    http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=156150292