In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Mini 14 spent brass question

bnailonbnailon Member Posts: 460 ✭✭✭
edited February 2010 in Ask the Experts
Just went to the range this afternoon after I picked up a Mini 14 off GB earlier this week.

Noticed that the .223 brass at the bullet seat end was bent in slightly on every brass round I fired. I also popped off a few .223 Monarchs. I think their cases are steel (?)-they did not bend.

I collected all of my Remington brass for reloading, but I need to find out if that bending at the bullet seat end is 1) common in the mini 14, and 2) if I can expect that .223 brass to straighten back out prior to reloading, or 3) chuck them and forget about reloading .223 from the mini 14.

I have also noticed the same thing occurs in my BAR 30-06.

BTW--got 3.5-inch group at 100 yards--may mean I need to upgrade the Tasco scope I put on there temporarily until I can get a better scope. This is a 196 series rifle and barrel--not the newer 580 series. I don't really expect a tack driver like my Savage .22-250, but I think I can improve on 3.5-in groups at 100 yards. Target=Hogs

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Options
    lcdrdanrlcdrdanr Member Posts: 439 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a 182 series stainless mini-14 in it's original configuration and wood stock. I have never noticed any bent brass from it, I pick up all my brass although I do not reload .223. I have noticed the dented edge on other brass I pick up from the range however but don't know what it comes out of.

Mine typically shoots 2-3 inches over iron sights at 100 yards which is all I expect it to do. I've never scoped it so I don't know what it will do with a more precise aiming point. I have noticed a tendency to start stringing as the barrel warms up and the groups open up a bit. Don't know if that's the gun or me after shoting a couple of mags.

Dan R
  • Options
    Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Creased/dented case mouth's are common on self-loaders. So are dents in the body BTW. Both of the above come from the case hitting things (receiver walls, charging handles, etc) on the way out of the gun.
    Run them through your sizing die and load away.

On your mini you can buy smaller gas block bushings, and it won't dent the brass as much (or throw it as far)
  • Options
    dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think 3.5" at 100 yds with the older pencil barreled Mini is OK, a little load refinement may do better but I wouldn't expect too much. My Mini wouldn't do nearly as well, I sent it off to Accuracy Systems for upgrades.

My own experience and observation is that the Mini is pretty hard on brass. I would take the condition of the brass on a case by case basis, default to tossing the questionable stuff. Brass for 223 is pretty cheap and plentiful.
  • Options
    AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I keep a center punch with a long tapered shank on my loading bench. If a case has a dent in the mouth, I run that tool into it to round it out. If don't do that, on running the case into the die, usually the expander ball will roll that dent down into the mouth ruining the case.